Roses

Canon to my The Show Must Go On AU.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Clay looked at the roses on Henry's desk.

"Well, seems you weren't kidding..."

"What sort of lame joke would that be?" Henry asks. Clay shrugs and walks over to the desk. He picked up one of the rose bouquets and examined it.

"Hmm... No name-"

"Yeah. Every single one is like that. Just like all the other times." Henry says.

"Any idea who it could be?" Clay asks, looking over at Henry, who shakes his head.

"Not a clue."

"Damn..." Clay says. "Well, you know what that means."

"I've got a secret admirer." Henry says, walking over to him and plucking a rose out of the bouquet he was holding.

"Not really sure why I'm surprised." Clay chuckles, watching as Henry spins the rose between his index finger and thumb. "I mean, you're not that bad looking-"

Henry laughs and asks, "Are you sure you're not my secret admirer, Burke?" Clay sets down the bouquet.

"Now now, you and I both know that I don't do things that way. I'm more upfront."

"Hmm... True."

"What's going on in here?"

Henry and Clay looked over towards the door to see William peaking in.

"Oh hi, Will." Henry says, waving at him. "Would you like a rose."

"Very nice of you to offer, but no thank you."

Henry shrugs and runs his finger along the stem.

"Henry got gifted a bunch of anonymous roses again." Clay says. "He suspects he has a secret admirer."

"Ah. I see."  William mumbles, picking up one of the bouquets.

"I mean, who else would it be? I'm not with anyone right now, so..."

William looks over at Henry, who's holding the rose to his lips. Henry was smiling.

Of course he knew Henry enjoyed this seemingly new attention, even if it was anonymous attention. Just that look in the other man's emerald eyes told him everything William needed to know.

"Well, I suppose I better get back to work. I've taken a long enough break and I really need to talk to Rachel about that raise." William says, setting down the bouquet before walking towards the door. "Have fun with your roses, Henry. I do hope you figure out who they're from."

"I hope so too." Henry mumbles. "I'll see you later."

William smiles and leaves the room, pleased that Henry hadn't seen what he had slipped into the bouquet. Now all he had to do was wait for Henry to notice the letter, and then their little guessing game could continue.

Oh. And to figure out what color the next bunch of roses should be. White was seeming like a rather nice choice to him at the moment.