We Can Do Great Things

Canon to my The Show Must Go On AU.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

"Could you imagine the things we could do?! It would be incredible! Henry, with this technology we could change the world! Isn't that what you wanted? To impact lives?" William looked back at the roboticist, who was currently tied to a chair. Henry just stared down at his lap, not responding to William.

"Henry?"

"I did want that." He says his voice so soft. "But not like this. Never like this."

William turned around and quickly walked towards Henry. "But why not like this?"

"BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE DYING, WILL!" Henry looks up at him now. "The creations that I meant to bring joy to children are being used to slaughter those same innocent children! This is never what! wanted, William!"

William clenches his fist, noticing the look in Henry's eyes. He had only ever seen it once before; that one rainy night, when Henry held his daughter's corpse in his arms. It was like Henry was losing something, but William wasn't sure what, at least not this time.

"Science requires sacrifice. Love requires sacrifice."

"What are you going on about, Afton?! You wouldn't know a damned thing about love!" Henry shouts. "I've seen what became of your son and daughter! You were never capable of-"

Before Henry could even finish that sentence, he received a harsh slap across the face. Shocked, and with tears threatening to spill from his eyes, Henry looks at William's face, finally making eye contact with him.

"I'm capable of feeling more love than you realize, Henry." He says, his voice low. "It's the only thing I can feel towards you anymore, and sometimes I fucking hate it. Do you know how damn painful it is to be in love with someone who doesn't love you back?! DO YOU?!"

Henry opened his mouth, trying to answer that, trying to let William know that he indeed did know how painful it was, that that's what his marriage had been like, but William wasn't done talking.

"But you know what? That's fine. It's fine." William said, turning away from Henry and placing his hands behind his back. "Because i'm going to fix that. I'm going to fix you." William turned back around to face Henry, a sickeningly sweet smile on his face. "Did you know certain emotions were heightened after my near-death experience?"

"..."

"But not only that, did you also know that others were just. Well, I guess chipped away at? I mean, that part wasn't caused by just by my accident."

William stood right in front of Henry now, their legs practically touching.

"That was mostly due to you." William whispered, leaning forward. Henry tensed up and squeezed his eyes shut. William takes this opportunity to cup Henry's face.

"And because those stupid little bits of feeling are so dumbed down now.. I can do what i'm going to do without any regrets."

"W-What are you going to do?"

"It really depends, love." William says, kneeling down in front of Henry. "I could just rip your soul right out of your body and put it in a machine, so you would have to rely on me. Or perhaps I could remove bits of that beautiful brain of yours. I wonder what that would do. I know you won't die, especially after I've administered your next dosage of remnant. But i'm worried that would alter you too much." William paused and thought about that for a moment.

No. No he couldn't alter his dear Henry's mind too much, or else he just wouldn't be Henry anymore, would he? And that would defeat the whole purpose of the procedure. Though, it did sound like it would be an interesting idea to try on someone else.

He was snapped out of his thoughts when he felt Henry's tears on his hand.

"Oh, sssh sssh sssh. Don't cry, love." William says, wiping his tears. "You're going to be fine! I just need to fix you so things can be like they used to. But better."

Henry shakes his head. "No. No they won't. Just shut up. Things can't ever be the same, and they won't ever get better."

"But they can, love. They can, and all I need is you. You're the key to making this all better!"

Henry continued to shake his head as more tears rolled down his cheek. William sighed and stood back up. He knew this wouldn't be easy. With him and Henry, it never was.

He looked over at the animatronic standing over in the dark corner.

"Keep an eye on him for me, will you? I need to do... Things.."