Dress-Up

Canon to my The Show Must Go On AU.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Crack!

"Jesus, that was loud..." Jen mumbled.

Henry jogged over to the window and looked outside. The rain was pouring down heavily outside. "I don't think we'll be able to go out to play." he said, looking back at the other two children.

"Darn."

William walked over to the window and stood next to Henry. He looked outside. "That's a lot of rain."

The door to the room opened and William's mother stepped in. "I'm sorry, children, but it seems the weather is rather nasty today. It seems you three won't be going outside to play today." William opened his mouth, about to ask his mother something, but she quickly responded before he could even get a word out. "No, Willy, you cannot go out, even with a slicker. The weather is so very foul. And even if that weren't the case, what about your mates, hm?"

William sighed and nodded. "Okay, I understand, ma."

"Good. Now, perhaps you three could find something to do that's indoors." his mother said.

"Okay, ma."

With that, William's mother turned and left the room. William turned around, facing Henry and Jen. "So, what should we do?" he asked.

"I dunno. What do you wanna do, Henry?" Jen asked, looking at her brother. Henry just shrugged. Jen looked back at William. "I guess it's up to you."

William looked around the room.

I really don't want to play with any of these...

William thought for a few moments, trying to think of something they could do that possibly all three of them would enjoy. Then it came to him.

The attic.

"I got an idea." William said.

"What is it?" Henry asked.

William just grabbed Henry's hand and lead him out of the room. Jen followed right behind.

"So, are you not gonna tell us?" Jen asked.

"Well, I don't know if we can yet. I have to ask my mum first." William answered, making his way down the stairs.

"But what is it?" Henry asked.

William lead Henry and Jen right up to his mother, who was trying to start up the fireplace.

"Mum, is it alright if we go up into the attic?" William asked. William's mother peaked over her shoulder and smiled at her son.

"Well of course you can! Just go get your pa. He'll get the ladder for you lot, since you're all too little to be getting it for yourselves." she replied.

William nodded and ran off, dragging Henry with him. Jen ran after them. "Wait up!"

"Pa!" William shouted, looking around for his father.

"Yes?" his father said, poking his head out of the bathroom.

"Mum said you could let us up into the attic." William said, pointing upwards.

"Ah, of course I can, Willy!" he said, patting his son's head. William scrunched up his face, making his father laugh merrily. He removed his hand from the child's head and strode on past them. "Come now. Let's go."

The three children nodded and followed him down the hall and up the stairs. They then walked towards the dead end of the hallway and stopped. Mr. Afton looked up and grabbed the latch, which was easy for him to reach, with his being a rather tall man. A little door in the ceiling opened and he stuck his hand up into it, grabbing onto the stepping ladder and pulling it down. He fastened the sides and turned to look at the children.