Old Friend

Non-canon to my The Show Must Go On AU.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

"It's been quite some time, Henry."

"It sure has, hasn't it?"

Michael cracked a smile and held his hand out to the older man. Henry took his hand and firmly shook it. It felt cold and clammy but that was to be expected.

Michael was a reanimated corpse, after all.

"You've definitely seen better days."

Michael chuckled and simply replied, "Haven't we all?"

The two men let go of each others hands and looked into each other's eyes for a few moments.

"Uh... So... You've located him."

Michael nodded. "He was right where you said he'd be."

"Is he... Still inside the suit?" Henry asked, hesitantly. Michael nodded in reply.

"I'm sorry, I thought that burning him at Fazbear's Fright would..."

"Destroy him?" Henry finished. Michael nodded once more. "What about the children's souls?" Henry asked.

"I wasn't able to give them their happiest day." Michael replied. Henry gently placed his hand on the man's shoulder.

"What happened?" he asked.

"I... Tried giving them their cake, just like you told me to... But they refused to take it."

"It appears the souls still aren't satisfied." Henry said with a sigh as he ran his fingers through his long brown locks. Michael nodded, confirming the older man's words. "Where is your father now?"

"He's in the scrap room." Michael replied.

"At this location?"

"That's what you asked me to do, so yes. He's at this particular location."

"Thank you."

"No need to thank me, Henry. If anything, I should be thanking you." Michael said.

"Kid, we're in this together." Henry replied, forcing a smile.

Michael sighed and shrugged Henry's hand off his shoulder. "Henry, please be careful."

"Michael, we both know dealing with William is-"

"I know what you're about to do," Michael said, cutting him off. "And while I don't think that's a smart decision, I'll respect it... Because I know why you want to do it."

Henry sighed. "Thank you."

"Mmhm... I'll leave you with him. Just... Please be careful, Henry. I won't be able to do this without you."

Henry nodded and made his way to the scrapping room.

Once he reached the door to the room, he stopped and took a deep breath. If he was going to do this, he needed to be calm and not show any sort of fear.

Once he was sure he was ready, Henry opened the door and entered the room.

The room was lit by a singular bulb that hung from the ceiling, which would occasionally flicker, and the room was mostly empty, save for a few things: a chair, a table and, most importantly, a giant animatronic rabbit slumped against the wall. It was this that Henry had come here for.

Henry walked up to the giant robot, being careful not to move to quick or loud. He didn't need to aggravate him.

Once Henry stood right in front of the mechanical rabbit, it jerked up it's head to look at him.

"Hello, Henry~"

"Springtrap."

The rabbit let out a chuckle and shook his head. "Oh no, please, my dear Henry, call me by my true name."

"Fine.... William Afton."

William let out a loud mechanical purr at the sound of his name.

"Ah it feels so nice to hear that name again, especially coming from you~"

Henry rolled his eyes and sat down, certain that the other wouldn't try to hurt him.

"Hmmmm... you seem quite comfortable with me." William remarked, cocking his head to the side.

"Because you're not being hostile towards me.... For some odd reason..." Henry mumbled in reply.

Despite being a giant robot bunny, Afton managed to make a shocked face.

"You know I'd never hurt you."

"Are you sure about that?" Henry grumbled, recalling all the terrible things that his former business partner had done to his family.

William let out a mechanical sigh and lifted his arm and gently began to stroke Henry's cheek with his metal fingers.

"I've missed you so much, Henry," he said. "And judging by the fact that you're here, I'd say that you've missed me too."

As much as Henry hated to admit it, Afton was right. He did miss him. He missed the way that things used to be. Back before the murders. Back before the incident at Fredbear's. Back before everything.

"Yeah... I have missed you..." Henry said, his voice sounding a little strained. "I miss everything."

Though Henry wasn't showing it that much, he could tell that Henry was in great emotional turmoil. He had been since William had made his first mistake. Kidnapping and murdering Henry's son Sammy. From there things had just gotten worse. For the both of them.

"Henry, I'm... I'm sorry." William said, continuing to gently stroke the man's cheek.

"Are you really?" Henry asked, his voice full of doubt. "For all I know, this could be you trying to manipulate me again."

"Manipulate y-"

"You know I have to do this. I need to set them free." Henry continued, his voice sounding so strong, yet broken. "They deserve that, William."

The rabbit let out a low mechanical growl. Not out of anger for Henry, but for himself. He knew that eventually Henry would try to get rid of him and, while he didn't want that, he could never bring himself to hurt Henry. Not again. He'd never be able to forgive himself if he did.

But he'd also hate himself for letting the opportunity to be with him pass. He loved Henry. He really did.

And this was the constant limbo that William Afton found himself in. He wanted to see the man happy and didn't want to hurt him. But he wanted the man to himself. To stay with him forever. But there was only one way to do that.

By making Henry just like him.

And both sides of his mind argued over this decision. One side in favor of the idea and the other side thinking it was the absolute worst. It drove him mad at times.

"You know... Being stuck in the suit is surprisingly not as bad as I thought it would be." William said.

"Perhaps that's why the children refuse to leave."

"Maybe they can't leave." William suggested.

"You're an odd individual, Afton." Henry said as he started to stand up.

"Leaving?"

"I'm pretty sure you know the answer to that one."

William nodded, knowing what Henry's answer meant.

As Henry walked towards the door of the room, William Afton found the courage to say something he never thought he'd tell the man.

"Henry?"

The burnette paused, his hand on the door handle. "Yes?"

"I love you."

Henry stood there silently for a few moments before opening the door and looking back at him.

"Goodbye, William Afton."