Jay, the Red-Nosed Ninja|S1|SFW|Fluff

A/N

This year is awfully busy, and I still want to slowly distance myself. But Christmas is here to those who celebrate it and I still can't help but enjoy some early (Christmas) Jaya. Enjoy <33

••••••••

It was usually Jay that was responsible with decorating the outside of the Monastery for Christmas. Most of the decor consisted of lights and, well, it only made sense. He was the one they would call during power outages, when a phone needed charging, when a thunderstorm was brewing far above. It only made sense that he would be the one to hang all the Christmas lights.

And he liked his work, he really did. He yearned for the moment he would plug everything in, when the Monastery would shine with colourful glimmers all around. He was proud of his work, he treated it like it was his own invention.

But on that particular Christmas, melted snow covered the Monastery's roof. Someone (Kai) had skipped on doing his duty of melting and cleaning the snow. So, bearing his reindeer antlers and Rudolph slippers, Jay sought to hang the lights by any means necessary. He had even brought his golden weapon with him, a necessary aid in making sure not a single light bulb was broken. He was a ninja for over a year now, after all, and a little slippery roof wasn't going to stop him.

That was what he had told himself right before he promptly slipped. He hung on for deer life (because he's a reindeer, get it? It sounded funnier in his head) from the hanging lights. He refused to let go and let them fall, he had already made so much progress. And there was so much left to be done! He had to wrap his presents, hang mistletoes around each room (it was a first, but a necessary addition that year), hog the TV before Kai could put on lame reality shows...

The lights comically spun him around before falling with him. He landed with a thud on the courtyard's stone floor, and the lights above him followed. They were yanked off from the generator's plug, which was still too far away to reach.

The lights were binding his torso. His arms were pinned against his hips, his shoulders were kept in place. He attempted to get up by hopping on one leg, only to fall back down. Much of a ninja he was.

The door slid open swiftly and footsteps drew nearer. He sighed in relief until seeing just who it was.

His teammate's sister, his crush, his beloved, the girl of his dreams, Nya was walking towards him curiously. Zane had offered her a headband of her own (one with elvish ears and an elf hat), a gesture she didn't expect. The rest of her clothes were her usual ones, but an added scarf around her neck gave her a festive look.

She looked around the training grounds suspiciously as if looking for an enemy to face herself. He wondered if he should stay silent, save himself from the embarrassment that was soon to follow.

Too late, because her gaze finally landed on him.

It was hardly ever that they would make proper eye contact without him turning away like a fool in love. But at that moment, they looked into each other's eyes as if there was no tomorrow. It was a long and awkward silence rid of any movements.

She burst out laughing. She tried to be polite about it, she really did. But it was hard to do so in a situation like that one.

And she didn't stop. She held her stomach and leaned against the column, then slid against the wall until sitting on the ground beside him. And through it all, his face grew warmer. Mostly because of sheer embarrassment but partly because she was sitting near him, and she still radiated the warmth from inside.