Fever

Credit to Kim308920 for the request and idea. Thank you and I hope you like it!

---

Mrs. Scrubbit doesn't really allow one to take a day off because of a flu. I managed to convince her that I would take Willys workload for the day, while still maintaining my own. She looked so smug when I said it. The idea of me working myself to a early grave must have given her immense joy, because she allowed Willy to take a sick day.

It was definitely needed. He had been looking paler for the last days. Had been weaker than usual. I'm not surprised, he has been working two jobs for a long time now. He doesn't allow himself to rest, when I tried to tell him to take a evening for himself, he had just shook his head.

I ran between the stations in Mrs. Scrubbits launderette, washing clothes on one side as I dtraightened the dry favrics on the other. Mrs. Scrubbit had actually walked down to the launderette with a chair, just to see me run around like a fool in order to keep up with what needed to be done. She loves seeing people miserable. She loves seeing me miserable. It's like her favorite personal entertainment.

About twelve hours later, I was finally done. My hands and feet were hurting and my back had me feeling like an elderly. But I still walked quickly and stopped infront of Willys door.

Taking a deep breath, I tried to fix my hair before entering. I also tried to remove a dirty spot from my clothes, but my efforts was in vain. I know that Willy doesn't care how I look... But I care how I look infront of him. I doubt he has ever noticed me as anything more than a fellow slave to Mrs. Scrubbit, but I can't help but find his endless optimism quite refreshing and adorable.

I pushed open the wooden door and saw Noodles standing infront of the bed, arms crossed. She reminded me of a disappointed mother, which was ironic considering her young age. Her brown eyes met mine when I entered, and she let out her breath.

"Y/n, please," She complained and pointed at Willy, who was lying in bed. "He's dumb. Help me out here." She said, making Willy laugh.

I looked over at him as I took a few steps closer. He's pale, and his eyes looked tired. They still have that special light in them, but it was obvious that he wasn't feeling his best.

I also couldn't help but notice that he wasn't wearing a shirt, instead he had the covers up to his chest.

Forcing myself to look away, I locked eyes with him.

"How's the patient feeling?" I asked jokingly, trying to lighten the mood. Willy smiled, appreciating the effort while Noodles didn't look impressed.

"I'm feeling perfect!" Willy said with a weak voice, his sore throat could have been heard a mile away.

Noodles looked at me and rolled her eyes. "He wants to sell chocolate tonight. Can you tell him how dumb that is and convince him to rest?" She said sharply, throwing a glance at Willy. I chuckled, smiling towards the young girl.

Willy and Noodles have formed a beautiful friendship. Of course she's worried about her friend.

I looked at him before turning back to Noodles. Digging through my pockets, I picked up the last of the few coins I had.

"Please, could you go to the market and buy us some tea and honey? Remind Matthew that he owes me." I emptied the coins into Noodles hand.

"Who's Matthew?" She asked curiously.

"A friend that works at the market. He owes me a favour and tell him that I want the honey for a cheaper price. Then that should cover it." I explained.

Noodles nodded and looked over her shoulder to Willy.

"A friend? Looks like you have some competition." She gave him a teasing grin, before going out the window and disappearing into the night. Noodles been living here for long, she's developed ways to escape unnoticed.

I too wish I could escape unnoticed when I realised what Noodles had implied. There was a awkward silence between me and Willy.

"He's really just a friend." I said sheepishly.

"Friends are wonderful to have." Willy smiled, before covering his mouth with his elbow to cough into it. That movement allowed the covers to slip down, just a few centimeters. Revealing more of his skin...

I should spray myself with cold water. Forcing myself to look away from his upperbody, I walked closer and placed my hand on his forehead. He looked up at me, from under my hand. His skin felt like it was burning.

"You're burning up. Must be a fever. Are you drinking enough water?" I asked, feeling worried, as I sat down beside his bed. That explains why he had removed his shirt, because he was sweating. Typical symptom of fever. Willy blinked slowly.

"I'm not sick." He persisted. "It's a weekend, everyone will want to buy some sweets! I need to be on the streets to sell my chocolate."

"Willy, you're sick."

"I'm feeling perfectly healthy!" He insisted and sat up in the bed. I saw that he was just about to stand up so I firmly but gently placed my hands on his shoulders, pushing him back in his bed.

"Please," I pleaded, looking into his eyes. "Just rest for tonight."

I realised that I was still touching his shoulders, and quickly retracted my hands. Willy didn't move, he only looked at me, his eyes soft but sad. As if he was burdened by something...

"I don't think you understand. The sooner I sell my chocolate, the sooner I can afford my store and... Afford to pay for yours and the others contracts to Mrs. Scrubbit." He explained, sounding tired.

Oh. I know that he has promised to help us if we help him, but I honestly didn't think that he was taking it this seriously. That he was taking his promise to us, so seriously.

"Willy," I began gently as I placed my hand on his cheek. He leaned into my hand, making my heart take a leap.

I feel so drawn in by his hazel coloured eyes. Especially now, this vulnerability that he has shown is unusual. Willy Wonka always has a solution. Always has a creative way to solve the problem. But this is different. The eyes never lie. I don't want him to overwork himself for us.

"You will sell your chocolate. But not tonight." I assured him.

I removed my hand as I stood up, walking over to his wardrobe. I brought out another blanket. He needs to be warm and stay hydrated in order to beat this fever.

"You sound very sure of that." He answered, giving me a one sided smile. Turning around, I smiled towards him as I held up the extra blanket.

"Yes, just stay here and let me take care of you."