Chapter 33 - Balance, no balance

Aria
"What did you do?" I looked at the man who is my father but didn't answer him. Why should I? What has he done to deserve an answer from me? "Do you have any idea what you've done?" I looked him up and down in disgust.

"Do I have any idea what I've done? Do you think you are in any position to ask that? This is your fault!"

"You foolish child, I can't be here. If we stay here we will die. Look at what's happening outside. The planet is being conquered. We'll never make it off alive."

"I guess that's a good thing then. You set this in motion when you got a member of the dark coven pregnant. It's your child that did this. Your child opened the borders. The responsibility falls on you. If you die here I think justice will have been served. Don't you?"

"If I die here the curse will continue." I knew what curse he spoke of, but I couldn't worry about that right now. I decided to push my obvious dislike of him aside for the sake of my sanity and the planet since I trapped him here with me.

"Those thing out there, what are they?" He didn't answer. "Council member six, those things out there, what are they?" If he could be difficult so can I.

"They're the creatures of death, your highness."

"I'm afraid I am not familiar with them. Explain."

"These creatures have no home. They hover near any planet that gives off a powerful presence hoping to one day slip through the cracks and take over that planet making it their home. We're not sure how they came about exactly. Our knowledge of them is rather limited. From what I know they can take on the form of a regular person only for a short while. For them to keep the form they have to constantly take away souls. The more souls they take the longer they can maintain the form of a regular human."

"We have to stop them."

"We can't."

"What do you mean we can't? There must be a way." Where the hell is Zane? He would know how to fix this. I don't know enough about this planet or what can be done.

"There isn't. The only thing we can do is abandon the planet. When there are no souls left they'll eventually starve."

"So what are our options?"

"There was only one option, to evacuate, but you took that chance away from us."

"Forgive me if I don't believe going to planet Earth was the only option. If it was, Zane would have found me and we would have left already. That means there are other options."

"There aren't any other options. When will you get that through your head? The procedures are different for you than it is for the Kings. They can't leave Atron. If they do then the planet will die. They have to stay here so that even if the planet is taken there is hope for rebuilding in the future. That rule does not apply to you. You are not an original witch. You do not come from the original witch bloodline. Therefore your only option was to evacuate." What is he talking about? Is that why Zane hasn't come to find to me? Did he think I would willingly go along with the council to Earth?

"Is that why he hasn't come to find me or I can't sense him?"

"You can't sense him because your highness is indisposed at the moment."

"Indisposed? What exactly is that supposed to mean?" If something has happened to Zane while he is here wasting my time he'll be begging for death by the time I'm through with him.

"I am not at liberty to discuss this with you." Not at liberty to discuss? I advanced on him.

"You will tell me what you meant by indisposed, and you will tell me now while I am asking nicely." I knew this man. He wasn't going to tell me anything. I'd have to take the information from him. There was no other way. I grabbed his head and willed him to look into my eyes. I searched his brain for any information related to Zane. No matter how bad it is I would deal with it.