Chapter 1 - Welcome home

NOT EDITED...

Chapter 1 - Welcome home

Aria
Floating...

I was floating. My body felt as light as a feather. I opened my eyes and all I could see was blue sky. The view was magnificent. And then I heard chucking, which brought me back to my senses "You can put me down now." My body felt sensitive to his touch. I think I liked it too much.

"It's tradition for the king to carry his mate across the threshold the first time she enters the kingdom."

"Well we are still outside, and people are staring."

"So?"

"And they are whispering."

He sighed but made no attempt to put me down.

"Since when do you care about what people think or say? I want to carry you. Will you not allow me that?"

Well when he put it that way in that sexy voice of his, how could I say no?

"Fine. But once we are through the door I stand on my own two feet."

He shrugged but didn't answer.

"Zane."

"Did you always talk this much? I'm beginning to miss the old moody Aria."

I decided not to give him a response. That would only encourage him. I was glad when we made it inside and he lowered me to my feet.

"Your kingdom awaits, princess."

I rolled my eyes. He was just being ridiculous now.

"Welcome back your majesty."

I had been too busy glaring at Zane to notice we had company. They all got to their knees and bowed.

Okaaay then. Was that really necessary?

He walked past them without acknowledging their presence.

"Brother! Welcome back. I trust all went well?"

"What's all this Eli?"

He sounded angry.

"Well you didn't expect to sneak in here did you? They're just welcoming home their master."

"It wasn't necessary."

"Well whatever you might think, I did it as a good gesture." His eyes moved from Zane to me. "Oh! You brought a guest. I wasn't aware we would have company. It's so nice to see you again, princess Aria."

I gave a slight nod in greeting.

"Your highness, it's good to see you again. And what a lovely welcome this is. I'm sure his majesty will appreciate the effort," I drawled in a fake but sweet voice.

He smiled one of his fake smiles and addressed the people who were still on their knees.

"You may all rise. Allow me to introduce princess Aria from the north kingdom and my brother's mate. I trust you will all show her the respect she deserves. She will after all become your queen."

His little speech sounded more like a threat than anything else.

"You may all go back to work, but get ready to assist his majesty and princess Aria if they so desire."

They all hurried away to do whatever it was they were doing before. I'm glad that was over. It was the most uncomfortable thing ever.

I noticed a few of the females made no attempt in moving; instead they came over to us and bowed rather seductively in front of Zane. Eli smirked and I frowned. They were exposing way too much skin. Couldn't they have done it without the seductiveness?