Chapter 12 - Some things are best kept hidden

NOT EDITED

Chapter 12 - Some things are best kept hidden

Eli
"Where are you going?"

"Don't start, Viv."

"Why? Don't I have the right to ask you that? I'm your mate."

"Don't go there Vivianna."

"Why? Why the hell not? You were the one that chose me remember? Why do you continue to treat me this way?"

"Oh please. Cut the dramatics. You were practically jumping on my dick before I brought this idea to you."

"It's been four years. In four years you haven't touched me once. What kind of life are we living here?"

"Stop pretending you didn't know what you were signing up for. I told you I could never give you love and affection. All I could offer was power and freedom. You're the Queen, and you're a powerful witch who can fuck whoever she wants. Stop looking for more."

"Do you think I'm happy like this?"

"I don't give a fuck if you are or aren't happy. You have enough power to make your damn self happy. You sure as hell don't see me sulking around."

"I deserve more than this from you. I've stayed by your side for four years. Four years is a long time for anyone to put up with this, Elijah. I don't even have access to your mind. I don't know what you're thinking. You've shut me out ever since you touched me that one time."

"What to do want from me Vivianna? What did you expect?"

"I want you! Why can't you see that? I want you to let me in."

"That's out of the question."

"Why?"

Water gathered in her eyes.

"Don't you dare cry. I told you. I can never give my heart to you. It already belongs to my mate."

"I'm your mate!" She shouted.

"My true mate."

She reared back as if I had slapped her.

"Is that it? You said your true mate died. Why are you pining after a dead woman? You didn't even meet her."

"We are not talking about this. Frankly it's none of your business. You've overstepped."

"Fuck you!"

Her earlier tears had dried up.

"Don't you wish." I'd had enough of this ridiculous argument. "Things are the way they are Vivianna. Accept them or leave. There's nothing more I can give you apart from what you're getting now."

"You think you're doing me some favour?" She paused. "I hate you. I loathed your very existence Elijah Bruudan. If you die now I wouldn't even shed one tear you selfish asshole!"

"Are you finished?"

"This is over."

"Well thank our ancestors for that."

Vivianna had chosen the wrong evening to bring up this topic. She was hurting and feeling neglected, but there was nothing I could do for her. That's why there are consorts. I'm sure she can find one of those men to love her, because I sure as hell can't. For that I was sorry.

Why did it have to be her of all people? Anyone but her would have been fine. It can never happen. I shook my head from side to side. I've already taken away enough from him. I won't take her too. I'll do everything possible to ensure they never find out. This was a secret I'd take to the grave.