Chapter 2 - Nightmares

NOT EDITED

Chapter 2 - Nightmares

Zane
"You can't keep doing this."

"What else am I suppose to do? It's the only way to keep her sane and from going crazy."

"You cannot keep taking her pain away. You shouldn't even have started to in the first place. Stop interfering, Zane. I'm telling you this from now. If it comes down to the choice of saving you or protecting her, you know what I'll do. We're not invincible. There's a limit to our powers and you're more vulnerable now because of your mate."

"I won't stand back and watch her hurting even if it is going to cost me. I'll always protect her first."

"You need to be alive in order to protect her. Stop being careless and do what you've always done, ignore everything and everyone around you. That's the key to our survival."

"You wouldn't understand. The pull between true mates is so powerful if your mate asked you for your heart you'd gladly rip it out of your chest and give it to her."

"You're right. That's something I'll never understand and I'm happy about it."

I always knew that Vivianna wasn't his true mate. Why he mated with her in the first place is a mystery, but Eli would always do whatever he wanted. That was his way.

"Until you do understand please desist from questioning me or lecturing me. Also, I would like it if you respected me and our bond and stay the fuck out of my head. It's disrespectful. There's going to come a day when I won't tolerate you interfering anymore."

"You're my only living relative. What do you think will happen to the kingdom if you die? Do you expect me to take care of our entire race without you? If you die, I die Zane."

"Eli."

"Don't 'Eli' me. You need to live so I can live. Death isn't meant for me."

I opened my mouth to respond, but my response got cut off by a terrifying scream. The lights started flickering. "Aria." I disappeared leaving Eli and our conversation behind. This time when I entered the room she was awake. Well let's not say awake. Her eyes were opened and they were as dark as midnight. No trace of grey was visible. She looked at me and tilted her head to the side.

"Whoa, creepy."

"Get out Eli. I'll handle this."

"What's wrong with her?"

"Just leave."

She looked at me intensely.  "You dare to approach me after what you did?" Her voice was no longer her own. It sounded deep, almost like a man's, like the devil himself was inside of her. "You won't hurt me anymore. I couldn't defend myself then, but I can now." She was still dreaming. What do I do? Who was she talking to? "I'd rather die before I let you hurt me again."

"Aria, it's just me. You're dreaming. You need to wake up sweetheart."

"No!" She flung my arms away from her and drew away from me. Her arms wrapped protectively around her waist. "Don't come near me." A tear rolled down her cheek. "You left me battered and broken. You broke my trust. Because of you I can never trust anyone again." More tears rolled down her cheeks. "You ruined me. You ruined my life." She fell to her knees and started sobbing heavily. I dropped to my knees beside her and watched as she curled herself into a ball and cried her eyes out.

The lights had stopped flickering a few minutes ago, and I knew she had fallen back into her slumber. I picked her up carefully and a stray tear leaked out the corner of her eyes. I wiped it away before I placed her on the bed and pulled the covers up around her. She whimpered and hugged herself more. My fingers curled into fists at my side. My mate was hurting and I didn't know what to do.