Chapter 3 - Blackout

NOT EDITED...

Chapter 3 - Blackout

Aria
"How much longer are you going to keep this up?"

"Excuse me?"

"This pretence. You are not fine and my brother certainly isn't fine."

"I don't know what you're talking about your majesty, please let go."

His grip on my arm only tightened. "My brother is in pain because of you. He is sick because of you. Because of you and your nightmares, he stays up all night taking your pain away so you can be normal the next day. And he does this at a risk to himself. I don't like you. You're bad for him. I don't care which fate put you two together, but I will not stand back and watch you suck him dry. I'd rather kill you and have Zane hate me for the rest of our lives than have you around him and watch him suffer because of you. Because of you my brother has gotten weaker. We're supposed to get stronger when we find our mates, but he's only suffering because you're lacking and he has to make up for what you lack! You're broken and you need fixing, but not at my brother's expense. I don't know what demons you're facing and I don't care. Get over yourself and deal with your shit. I won't watch Zane put himself in danger anymore because of you." He stormed off after he said all that he wanted to.

All that Eli had said kept playing over and over again in my mind as I went up the staircase. I didn't fully understand everything he had said, but I did feel guilty. Zane has been looking a little tired the past few weeks, but he never said anything, so I assumed he was fine. But judging from Eli's behaviour just now I don't think he is. I wanted to pretend everything was okay with me. I didn't want him to worry about me so every day I pretended like everything was fine, and at nights I welcomed the comfort he gave me.

I entered the room, still thinking about all that Eli had said. Zane had excused himself some time ago claiming he had some work to do, but now looking at him fast asleep I felt like crying. It's because of his concern for me why he pretended everything was fine.

I got in beside him and studied his beautiful face. His lips were pressed together tightly and his eyebrows were pulled into a frown. Small beads of sweat had formed on his forehead. I reached out to wipe it away and had to pull back quickly. He was burning up. Tears formed in my eyes and I closed them and placed my head against his stomach.

"I wish I could see what you're thinking. You ask me to trust you, but you choose not to do the same. How can I continue like this when you're the one who is paying the price?"

I sighed. He obviously has a fever. Now wasn't the time for me to break down. I would take care of him, nurse him back to health, and then curse him out for being stupid and taking on all the burden by himself.

I sat up and looked him over. He needed a wash cloth. That would be effective in bringing his fever down. But before I could make my way from the bed, his hand gripped mine startling me.

"You're awake."

His eyes weren't opened, but his lips moved.

"Stay."

"You have a fever. I need to reduce it."

"What I need right now is for you to stay with me. Your presence alone is soothing."

He pulled me down on top of him and I buried my face in his neck, enjoying his unique smell. His fingers stroked my hair gently, and once again he ended being the one comforting me.
********

"We're back here again."

"You remember."

"Of course."