T H E . C A L L

My Girl by The Temptations <3

~

May

"Thank you all for such an amazing three years, here's to not remembering a single thing about them!" Henry says, chucking back the rest of his whiskey on the rocks before letting out a completely boisterous roar as he slams the painful expensive, crystal cut glass onto the neatly white-clothed table that is now stained with cigarette ash and dripped candle wax.

The other thirty people, sitting on either side of the long dining table in one of the many dining halls of Durham university, neck their drinks almost in unison before chucking their napkins onto the messy table and running toward the black and white checkered dance floor. One of the boys runs to the professional DJ decks that have been set up in the corner and starts to play a horridious mix of 'Mr Brightside' and DnB. Everyone goes mad for it though, everyone except for Delilah.

Delilah (Lilah) Astor, although disgustingly wealthy like almost everyone else at her university, can't stand the pompous and gluttonous nature of her peers but there's not much she can do. Henry. Henry Irvine, her longtime boyfriend, invites her to all of the graduate gatherings. He says it's important to him that she can present her to his friends and their families, he says it creates a good image for the both of them. But really, as everyone but Delilah knows, he only brings her to stop himself from fraternizing with the other girls there. Of course, he thinks that's incredibly mature and simply shows his true commitment to Delilah after that one incidence two years ago when she caught him doing a line off of Margot De Lougherys' tits in the bathroom of 'The drunken duck' pub in town, her stupid bubblegum pink lipstick smeared over his chattering lips.

Henry was in the doghouse for a week but then she got the call from her housekeeper, Lacey, who was more like her mother than a staff member having looked after Delilah since she was two. But no matter who that call was from, it didn't make the news any easier.

"Darling, i'm so sorry...No, no it's not something that chemo will fix...well he's getting older sweetheart and you know how he smokes like a trooper...bless you don't cry, i know we weren't expecting the cancer to be stage four...no you're mothers uh- unable to talk at the moment... I'm sorry Delilah."

And then, well, after that...She let Henry sliver his way back into her heart because what else was she supposed to do. She thinks he's better now but do they ever truly get better?

"Lilah, my sexy, sexy Lilah, come here" Henry shouts from the dance floor, his pupils wide like sinkholes and his lips chattering exactly as they did that night two years ago.

Delilah gets up from her seat at the table and walks over to the crowd of intoxicated Durham graduates with an embarrassed smile on her face. She hated Henry deep down, but at the surface she was deeply in love with him and it's the surface that holds the strings of attachment towards a person.

As she waked, Lilah pulled down her short, strapless black dress that cinched in perfectly at the waist and flared out slightly to enhance her curves. As she did so, the sharp pain of her pointed-toe shiny red-bottom shoes almost made her collapse. They were a present from Henry last summer when she got her acceptance letter into Durham. She recovered herself but adjusted the white bow tying up half of her long, deep brown and neatly blown-out hair.

'You're so fucking hot' Henry mumbled into her ear over the loud music.

'Thank you, Hen' Delilah smiled weakly, desperately wishing he'd just call her beautiful for once.

As Henry fumbled around, sort of to the beat of the music, Delilah tried to do a small sway in an effort to look as if she were enjoying this experience. As she was trying to get into it, she found a mere moment of comfort in Henry's eyes. Despite what he;s like, his eyes were the thing that always tricked her into forgiving him. They were so deeply brown and striking, almost intoxicating. Before she could get totally fooled by her boyfriend's eyes, he grabbed her hips harshly and spun her around, turning her away from him then slamming her back onto his chest and tilting her hips so her arse fit into his crotch. He controlled her hips as if she were a puppet, making the two of them sway in small figures of eight, never softening the dig of his fingers that were now pressing rather painfully onto her hip bones.