S P L A S H

The Look by Metronomy <3

~

In the heat of midday, the four kids, if you can call them kids anymore, lay out by the river. The boardwalk that leads into the river is occupied by Delilah and Venetia who are sprawled out over thin silk blankets that have embroidered exotic orchids in bright blue and pinks and yellows and greens on a backing of a creamy beige. On the grass only a few metres away, Farleigh and Felix lean on aged beach towels that are striped, one yellow and blue the other pink and greed, their heads resting on their folded up shirts. They only arrived at Saltburn a few hours ago and already time is flying by.

Delilah props herself up onto her elbows, scouring the area for the shared box of cigarettes that the boys brought in bulk from oxford. There's not a shop for miles around the manor so everything has to be bought in bulk, especially when a family is as gluttonous as the Cattons are.

Finding the box lying on Venetias stomach, Delilah pulls one out and places it on her chest for a moment, 'Lighter' she commands, knowing the others will automatically know what she needs it for.

Felix lifts his left arm up, a plastic lighter reading 'Oxford' in bright red letters in his hand. He says nothing but keeps his arm up while he intently reads some book. He seems to always be reading a book. Delilah clears her throat as if to say, 'I'm not moving so you bring it here' and so, again without a word, Felix closes his book and walks over to the boardwalk. He steps over Venetia and crouches down at Delilah's feet. Still in silence, he gestures his head beckoning Lilah to move closer. Feeling that all too familiar thrill in her chest, she smirks and stays put demanding him to do all the work for her. Felix returns the cheeky smile but instead of moving closer he slides his free hand under the arch of Delilah's back and pulls her up to a sitting position. Their eyes stay locked the entire time as Felixs' hand moves from her back and gently grips onto her jaw, guiding her mouth closer to his.

'Where is it then?' He questions. But the cigarette that was on Lilah's chest had fallen over her chest and into the crease of her hip just between her skin and the string bow of her blue bikini bottoms. They both look down to where the cig is sitting but still feeling the rush of whatever the tension is between the two of them, Delilah says and does nothing but simply look up toward Felix who still towers over her despite being crouched down.

Felix scoffs and sighs, 'not feeling particularly helpful today, are we?'. Delilah still doesn;t reply so Felix reaches toward her thighs. He stops and places his hand briefly above her knee before sliding it up toward her hips, all the while keeping a mischievous eye contact with her. Once he reaches the crease in her hips, his hand tightens around Delilah's skin, squeezing it slightly before taking the cigarette. Lifting it up to her mouth, he uses his thumb and pulls down on her bottom lip, opening her mouth enough to place the tip of the cigarette in.

Delilah stomach flips sending a gentle shiver down her spine as Felix sparks the ridiculous university merch lighter and lights the thing for her. She inhales deeply and blows all the ashy smoke into his face, 'Thanks' she smiles before gently lying back down against the boardwalk, the ends of her hair brushing the surface of the murky green lake.

Felix clenches his jaw slightly, a little too obviously wanting more thanks for his efforts. But he wasn't going to get it, not from Delilah. He knew that though, she had always been so stubborn. They both went to Marlborough College, a top private school in Wiltshire where Kate Middleton attended in her schooling career. Unbeknown to his parents, Felix rarely did any of his own work but rather ran around outside playing rugby at all hours of the day. So often, he would approach Delilah to plead and beg for her notes to which she most always denied. And even when she did help him, Felix knew she would fool him into writing some wrong answers just to get back at him so getting any sort of thanks from someone like Delilah Astor was pretty much off the table.