P R O M I S E . M E

Getting' in the way by Jill Scott <3

~

'I'm Oliver' the you looking boy said, holding out his hand for Delilah to shake.

He had this weird sort of glint in his eye and he had an accent she'd never really heard before. She knew it was northern but, to be honest, all she was used to hearing was pompous posh accents like her own.

'Delilah' she replied, shaking his hand weakly and not bothering to stand up for him. It was weird from the moment she'd heard he'd arrived, Delilah got this weird feeling up her spine, something that told her he was different. She put it down to him just being here for a ritzy, glamorous experience and not truly liking Felix as much as it seemed.

As Olly introduced himself to the rest of the family, Delilah looked over to where Felix was sitting. He hadn't said a word to her all morning, not even a smile, just nothing. But he looked so beautiful, sitting there on the floor with his parents. His eyebrow piercing drawing her even more into those eyes. Those eyes that could transport her to a world where only she and him existed.

'So- Delilah' Olly said, breaking her from thought, 'how do you know Felix?' he asked

'Oh i'm, well i'm a family friend'

'Sort of my sister's friend though, really, aren't you.' Felix spat with a malicious tone in his voice. Delilah was taken aback.

'Well i prefer her yes' she shot back, piercing into his eyes letting him know she caught the hidden spite in his voice.

'You're family, darling' Elsbeth reassured 'now Olly you must tell me everything about you father. Such terrible news, if fact you should talk with Delilah-' She trailed off.

Delilah couldn't blame Elsbeth for her foot-in-mouth syndrome, it was how she was. But she did take it as a que to excuse herself for a glass of water. Except it wasn't going to be a glass of water, naturally it was going to be a very big glass of gin and tonic.

Lilah walked toward the piano room where there was a little bar equipped with all the spirits in the house while all the wines were kept in the cellar downstairs. She grabbed herself a large glass and poured in a loving amount of Portsmouth gin and a mere splash of tonic then added a slice of dried lemon and grapefruit for effect. This may be an emergency drink but she was determined to romanticise her very unromantic life somehow.

Walking through the long hallways draped in family portraits and old suits of armour, she stepped out of some large double doors and walked down to the plunge pool at the bottom of the garden. She sat herself down onto one of the wicker loungers and took a large sip of her drink in an effort to relax.

'Fucking hell he's hot, isn't he. Delilah! Isn't he hot?' Venetia rapidly questioned while fluffing up her big blonde curls and lifting off her oversized tshirt to reveal a pink metallic bikini underneath.

'Not my sort of type'

'Well your type is ugly men like Henry' she giggled, 'get my back'.

Venetia swung her legs over the side of the lounger, her back facing toward Delilah and her hand stretched out in an awkward sort of way, shaking the bottle of suncream in her face. 'He's weird though, isn't he' Venetia remarked as suncream was lathered onto her slightly burnt back.

'Totally weird' Delilah agreed.

She was glad Venetia agreed with Oliver's weirdness but then, they had the same sort of capacity to read people. To this day the pair's favourite activity, after partying, was to go to 'The coffee bean' in the closest little town about five miles away. They would dress up in their most outrageous clothes, ball gowns, fur jackets, short skirts with leggings beneath or fishnet tights, order a cappuccino and people watch as they lifted the chocolate covered foamy milk into their mouths with a teaspoon. This one time they were dressed in rave-wear; bright legwarmers, metallic miniskirts and studded bras, naturally sipping their cappuccino when they saw the most monumental argument between a very well known actor and his secret girlfriend. They got so excited they ran to the bright red phone box and called Elsbeth to tell her all about it. Obviously, then the whole town found out about it and naturally it was spread all over TMZ within days. Either way, Venetia and Delilah just had a sort of shared sixth sense for people; and Olly was sparking interest.