Chapter 35 - Movie Day

I wake up to the sun shining on my face and stretch out, forgetting about my injuries. I recoil in pain and grab my ribs, laying as still as possible to let the pain subside.

I pick up my phone to look at the time. I have a text from Pixie.

"Hey, how're things going so far. I miss you xx".

I respond, "Great, it's so beautiful here, I already feel so much better."

"I'm glad. Have you ripped each other's clothes off yet?"

I snicker, "Nope, we don't even share a room."

"That's disappointing. Try walking around without a bra."

I laugh, "That won't work on him."

"You'd be surprised. Got to go to training, we'll talk again later. I love you and remember NO.BRA."

I roll my eyes and say goodbye to her. I look down at my breasts and consider it but shake the idea. No, that's so desperate.

I get out of the bed and walk over to the balcony; I stole a cigarette from his pack yesterday while he was in the store. I make myself comfortable in a chair and light the cigarette.

After the first drag, I have to suppress a cough.

I close my eyes and can hear a bird singing in the tree next to the balcony. If I lived here, I'd never want to leave. I imagine waking up like this every morning and just sitting out here in the sun. Afterwards I'd go work in the garden or bake something. It sounds so much better than rushing off to some unknown location to potentially die. Better than being in the hot sun all day with the smell of sweat and dirt filling your nose.

After smoking, I brush my teeth and make my way downstairs. Ghost's door is still closed.

I look around for him downstairs, but he's nowhere to be found, I assume he's still sleeping. I want to go outside, but don't know what he did with the keys, he probably has them with him.

Instead, I walk to the kitchen and decide to make some breakfast while waiting for him. He made dinner last night and did so much for me yesterday, it's the least I can do.

I start with breakfast, trying to be as quiet as possible, I don't want to wake him, man never sleeps.

Halfway through cooking, I hear footsteps on the wooden floor, and he comes into the kitchen. I turn to him and smile broadly, "Morning."

"What are you doing?" he asks frowning and crossing his arms.

"I'm making breakfast," I say confused by his demeanor.

"What did your doctor say?"

I shrug my shoulders.

He continues, "Limited movement... and where are your crutches?"

"Right there," I point to the corner of the kitchen, "I sit down most of the time, I just get up to check on the food."

He seems genuinely upset, "Shadow, we're not doing this again. I brought you here to help you heal."

I look down at the ground, "I know...I just wanted to do something for you."

"You can, by staying on your ass, like I told you to," his voice cuts through the room. Suddenly he's the Lieutenant back on base again.

I can feel my temper rising, but don't want to argue, "Fine," I say and walk to my crutches.

I walk past him out the door. This isn't the first time he's spoken to me like that, but for some reason, this time, it hurt.