Chapter 45 - Four is a Crowd

After stocking my pack and equipping my weapons, I say my goodbyes to the team members who are staying behind and head to the airbase.

I wish more of them could join this mission. I would give anything to swap Piper out for Pixie.

It's already dark and the night wind is cool against my cheeks as I make my way to the helicopter.

Reaching it, I find Piper already seated and I reluctantly take the seat opposite her, buckling up.

The space is tight and our knees almost touch. Couldn't we fly with something bigger!

I check and adjust my chest plate while going over the plan and map for the mission in my head. I hope all goes well and we find the info we need.

"Did you have a good time in England?" she asks in her poison-laced honey tone.

I don't respond and she continues, "Personally, I'm not a fan. Ireland is far superior..."

I still don't respond; I can see right through her intentions, and I have no interest in entertaining it.

"It was so nice of Ghost to accommodate you, since you don't have a place to live," she says snidely, now clearly getting irritated.

I find this amusing; she's well aware that I earn more than she does. If she's trying to suggest that I'm poor, it's a feeble effort.

I wonder how she knows about my living situation though.

I'm enjoying ignoring her like this; after all, the best way to get to a narcissist is by not giving them the attention they crave.

My enjoyment quickly fades though, and her next words feel like a punch in the gut, "The view from his balcony is breathtaking right?"

I don't show any reaction and my face remains stoic but I'm screaming internally.

Just then, Ghost arrives and crouches awkwardly in the door for a couple of seconds as his eyes shift between me and Piper, as if contemplating where he should sit.

My head starts buzzing.

He.better.not.

It appears he read the warning in my eyes, and he takes the seat next to me, buckling up.

She's not fazed by this though and leans over, starting to make small conversation with him, her voice low and sweet, like a little mouse.

I wonder if I can push her out mid-flight and make it look like an accident?

"Where's your boss?" Ghost asks, looking at his watch.

"How should I know?" I snap.

"I'm here," Graves' breathless voice rings out and he boards the helicopter.

He glances over the three of us, a small smile forming on his lips, "Well...this is...cozy."

"You're late," Ghost says bluntly.

Graves just chuckles softly while buckling into the seat next to Piper, "I know. I had important matters to attend to."

The two men exchange a brief glare before Ghost instructs the pilots to take off.

As we start flying, I sit with my arms crossed, my eyes fixated on the lights twinkling beneath us.

She's been in his apartment in London...why was she there and hanging around on his balcony?

To some this might not be a big deal; as it may mean nothing, but this is Ghost we're talking about. He's very private, and he wouldn't just let anybody into his house. I can't even believe he let me in.