Chapter 66 - Sacrifice

"Where are you taking me?" I ask, my voice laced with confusion, as Pixie guides me out of my room. I was sleeping peacefully when she knocked on the door, instructing me to get dressed and follow her.

"Holding cell, Price's orders," she responds bluntly.

By her current demeanor, I can tell she's still upset about out exchange yesterday.

"Any updates from them?" I ask, hoping for some news. I have no way to communicate with Ghost and can only rely on getting updates from her.

"Not yet," she replies, her tone remaining unchanged.

"Why didn't you join them?" I probe further.

"Well, you know, Price has his favorites..." she trails off, her eyes swollen from what I can only assume was a night spent crying.

We continue to walk in silence, the weight of Graves' death hanging heavily over us.

"What was the last thing he said?" she asks, and I instantly understand the reference.

"No."

She chuckles, her laughter growing, and I find myself joining in, our shared laughter echoing through the corridor.

"That's rather fitting for him," she says as our laughter subsides, our expressions turning serious as the reality of his death settles on us again.

"I tried to convince him to surrender... I wish he had listened..." I say sadly.

"Yeah, well, it's Graves. It would've been strange if he did," she remarks, and we come to a halt in front of Valeria's container.

I gaze at it with confusion, "And this?" I ask.

She exhales heavily, choosing her words carefully, "Well, Alejandro's soldiers are returning to base today, and things will be chaotic. The buildings have suffered significant damage and it'll need to be assessed too. They can't have any prisoners getting in the way."

"Is she still in there?" I ask, my concern evident.

"Yes," she replies simply.

I nod, casting another glance at the container before turning back to face her, "Listen...I just wanted to say that... I'm sorry I hurt you, Pix, and for everything that happened. Just know that there was a reason behind it, and I'll explain everything soon..."

Her demeanor softens, and I notice a glimmer of vulnerability in her eyes. They become slightly moist as she offers me a tight-lipped smile, "I'd like that."

After she turns and leaves, I'm grabbed by my arms and led into the confining space of the container, the door locking behind me. I stand there, staring at the dark door.

"Well-well-well, look who it is..." the familiar voice comes from behind me.

I turn to see her sitting on her bed, glad to see they haven't taken it from her yet.

"Valeria," I greet.

"Princess," she greets back, before leaning back against the wall of the container, her arms crossed, "Fancy seeing you here, I hear the tables have been turned."

I walk to sit on the bed next to her, "Afraid so..."

"Where's bad cop?" she asks, referring to Graves.

"Dead." I respond.

"And what about the deal he made with me?"

"Died with him...Alejandro's back on base, as you've probably noticed."

She scoffs and lets out a string of curses in Spanish, clearly frustrated. We spend the next couple of hours engaging in small talk, and as the afternoon wears on, she lies down on the bed, seemingly taking a nap.