Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I woke up really early. Like, 5:00am early. I jumped out of bed and put on some new clothes: light blue shorts and a light pink t-shirt. I brushed through my hair and decided to let it down today. I applied some lipgloss and blemish cream and stepped back. I smiled into the mirror hanging on my wall. Yep, sexy as usual.

I trotted downstairs and went over to the kitchen. Right before I turned the corner, I realized I could hear voices. I froze, then pressed myself up against the wall to listen in. I heard my name being used, and I leaned forward.

"--is really not a good time," Liam was saying. He sounded kind of mad, but not angry. What's wrong?

"Liam, we've been waiting for this for a while now," Mum said. "We saved a lot of money homeschooling Delilah and keeping her safe, so we decided to put that to our advantage."

"And you couldn't do anything else with the money?" Liam exclaimed. "You had to go to Mexico?"

I stiffened. Mexico? With beaches, and piña coladas, and sexy hot Mexican guys? Sounded like my kind of place.

"What's the harm?" Father asked. "We need a vacation."

"But what about Lily?" Liam asked. "She's only seventeen and not yet old enough to stay here by herself for a month. What are you going to do with her?"

I felt a rush of anger. They're keeping me here?! How dare they? It's not like anybody would recognize us in Mexico! And I could too stay here by myself! I was not helpless!

Mum and Father were quiet for a moment. "We were hoping... she could go on tour with you," Mum said quietly.

My heart skipped a beat. Whoa, wait, hold up. Go on tour?! With One Direction?! Hell yeah! That beats Mexico any day!

"What?" Liam cried. "No! No no no no! She can't go on tour with us!"

"Why not?" Father demanded. "It'll be a good experience for her. She'll be able to go around and meet new people, make some friends, and hear you perform live. What's wrong with that?"

Liam was quiet for a moment. "I don't think it's safe for her to meet the boys," he said finally.

"Why?" Mum asked. "I've met them: they're good people and can take care of a seventeen-year old girl without corrupting her too much."

"That's not exactly what I'm worried about," Liam said. "You know them, Mum, and they have their ways into charming a girl. And most of the time that girl is disappointed. I don't want that to happen to Lily."

I frowned. What didn't he want happening to me? A broken heart? He's so overprotective. I didn't like any of his friends in that way, I knew that even before I'd met any of them. They're just too... One Direction for me. I wanted a normal guy. I'd be fine.

There's silence in the kitchen and I waited nervously. What if Liam convinced them? What if I wasn't allowed to go on tour? What would happen to me?

Unfortunately, Liam's right and I was too young to stay in a household by myself for more than a day. Which is a stupid law, but it exists.

Would Mum and Father have to take me on their Mexico trip after all? Would that be such a bad thing? But I wanted to go with Liam so bad, despite the beaches and piña coladas and sexy hot Mexican guys....

"I'm sorry, Liam," Father finally said. "But it's too late for us to purchase another ticket for Delilah, and not too late for you to tell her she's going on tour. Think of how happy that'll make her."

Liam didn't reply. I knew he had my best interests at heart, and I love him for that, but I figured this went a step too far.

"And you don't even know if she'll like them in that way," Mum added. "She might not even like them at all." I sniffed. Impossible. "Or," Mum continued. "The boys might not like her in that way, or make any attempt to do that to her. And lastly, a girl needs to know how to nurse a broken heart. I can't believe I'm saying this, but when we protected Delilah she was kept away from the outside world. The real world. She has a pretty good idea how it works--she's no idiot--but she's never really lived it. It might be a good thing for her to learn a thing or two about heartache."

I was agreeing with Mum 100%. I knew for a fact I wouldn't like-like the One Direction boys cause they're too weird for me, but I didn't know what hot guys I'd meet on this new adventure. The Adventurous Adventures of Delilah Payne began now. I could hardly wait.

But Liam had to agree first. He was quiet for a really long time, and dread settled into my stomach. He's going to say no, I knew it. He's too overprotective. But then:

"Fine," Liam grumbled. "She can come. But I'm making sure she doesn't fall for any of them. I'm sorry, but she could do so much better than them."

I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I let it out in a sigh of relief. I swallowed down a squeal of excitement and struggled not to jump up and down in excitement. I was going! I was going! I was going on tour with One Direction!

"When do I tell her?" Liam asked and I began to listen in again.

"You can tell her now," Father suggested. "When she wakes up. She has plenty of time to get ready."

This time I had to stuff my fist in my mouth to keep from screaming. This was all so wonderful!

"Fine," Liam said again.

"We should wake her now," Mum said. "It's 6:00am, and I know she likes to get up early on these days." These days meaning the days Liam visited.

My jaw dropped but I somehow managed to keep the frightful gasp inside of me. I ran as quickly and quietly as I could up the stairs, but not all the way. I wouldn't have time for that.

Mum, Father, and Liam left the kitchen.

"Oh, hi!" I said brightly, halfway up the stairs and facing towards them. "What's up?"

They stared back at me. Liam still didn't look happy, but at least he wasn't making me stay here or anything. "I have something to tell you, Lily," he said. "It might come a bit shocking and exciting, so be prepared."

I raised an eyebrow. I hoped I looked convincing.

Liam sighed. "You're coming on tour with me," he said. My jaw dropped again and my eyebrows shot up into the air. "Seriously?" I squeaked. "No joke?" He shook his head and I began to wave my hands around, wishing there was a pillow nearby for me to scream into. It sounded so much more real when he said it out loud to me.

"I have to get packing!" I gasped. "I have to get my passport! I have to--"

I broke myself off and frowned. "But what about your friends?" I asked. "They don't know I exist. How will they react?"

Liam grimaced. "I guess we're just going to have to find out," he said.

"Thanks so much, Liam!" I yelled and ran down the stairs to attack him in a bear hug.

I finally stopped long enough to look at my parents in confusion. "Why are you letting me go?" I asked.

"Me and your mother saved up a lot of money homeschooling you," Father explained. "And we decided to use that money for a vacation trip to Mexico."

I glared at them. "You're making me go on tour with Liam instead of go on vacation to Mexico?" I exclaimed.

I frowned again. But that didn't seem right. For all this time my parents had kept me hidden to be AWAY from the fans, but now they're putting me right in the thick of things. How smart was that?

But I didn't care. As long as I got to stay with Liam longer and see the outside world. My dream was fulfilled.

"I'm gonna go pack!" I announced, not waiting for them to answer. After all, I wasn't complaining about the sudden freedom. I dragged Liam along with me so he could help. He'd been on these tours before, he'd know what to do.

"I'm going on tour!" I yelled in triumph and I could hear Mum and Father laughing behind me. And when I looked back even Liam was smiling.