Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I sat on the couch and watched the television. I couldn't sleep. I know when I'm not wanted.

Liam and the others (excluding Louis) were pissed at me for letting them eat worms and mud and puking it all up. Niall was the worst since he ate and drank the most. And I think Liam's friends were the maddest because they helped me get out of trouble and yet I got them all sick. I felt terrible.

The volume on the television was down real low so that it sounded like whispers. The light flickering from it cast weird, scary shadows along the walls and floor. My knees were hugged to my chest, conserving warmth, and my eyes were wide and unblinking. It's scary thinking that I was the only one awake right now, and everyone else in this household hated me.

I heard a creak and I stiffened. I waited for another one but it didn't come. I was just starting to relax again when there was another creaking noise. I stood up slowly and crept away from the couch, towards the source of the noises. It was coming from the bedroom hallway.

I narrowed my eyes and pressed myself up against the wall. I stopped for a moment and listened. Nothing.

Then I heard a weird kind of shuffling noise, like cloth against wood. Like a footstep. I held my breath. It sounded like it was heading towards me.

The shuffling and creaking noises got steadily louder and louder as it neared me. I really wanted to exhale but I was too afraid to. Then I heard a small breathing noise. So that meant whoever-it-was was alive.

Of course it is! I snapped at myself. What did you think it was? A zombie? There's no such thing.

But then my mind started thinking of demons, devils, Death Eaters, and other scary stuff from Harry Potter.

I took a step forward, bent my knees, and launched myself at the intruder. I heard a surprised grunt, and suddenly we were falling. I balled my fists, ready to attack, but I was thrown off. I sat up immediately, and so did the stranger.

"Who's there?" he whispered. I didn't answer, just waited. But I wasn't exactly sure what I was waiting for.

"Who's there?" he repeated. "Liam?"

No way, I thought. Liam wouldn't attack. He would call the police.

"Zayn?" He would probably run.

"Harry?" Judging by the state he was in, he would just stare at the wall and ignore the intruder.

"Delilah?" I would attack like I just did. It made sense he wouldn't guess Niall, because he was pretty sick. Wait, how did this guy know who we were? How did he get my name?

"Who's there?" I hissed. "I know karate and I'm not afraid to use it!" That's a lie.

"It's Louis," the stranger replied and I relaxed. It's only Louis. Then I blushed. I just attacked one of Liam's friends, and the only one who wasn't pissed at me! How embarrassing!

We continued to sit on the floor. "Is that you, Delilah?" Louis asked.

"Yeah, it's me," I whispered. "What are you doing here?"

"Uh, I live here?" he reminded me. "I could ask you the same thing."

"I can't sleep," I mumbled. "I feel bad that everyone's mad at me."

"I'm not mad at you."

"But I poisoned your friends and made you look for me when I got lost and now just attacked you!"

"So? I was the one that told you to help me, and I was happy to go looking for you. And that attacking thing was totally brave of you."

I paused. "Really?" I asked.