Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I went over to the elevator and hit the down button. It occurred to me that maybe I should get one of the boys, but I didn't really feel like it. They were getting settled in, and I didn't want to bother them.

Finally the doors slid open, and I went inside. I hit the one button and waited patiently for me to go down. Five minutes later, I was exploring the lobby.

It was really grand and fancy, with a bunch of TVs and couches and tables and chairs. There was even a fireplace and a few pictures here and there. It gave it a kind of homey look.

I looked to my left and grinned. There was a snack bar, and the sign nearby said that it was open everyday except Sunday, from 6am to 9pm. Good enough for me. I bought myself a large, cold coffee and sipped it through a straw. Yummy.

Other than the cashier and front desk clerk, there weren't very many people in the lobby. I noticed a hallway behind the snack bar, and I followed it all the way around the lobby. There were other hallways connected to this one, but I ignored them and went straight forward. My lesson was learned. Is it even possible to get lost in a hotel?

I turned a corner, and suddenly I started smelling chlorine. No way, they had a pool here?! I darted forward until I saw the window. I looked inside and a large pool glistened at me, untouched and unoccupied. And I saw a hot tub nearby. Thank goodness I remembered my swimsuit. I love swimming.

But then I noticed I needed a room key to enter the pool area. I stuck my hand in my pocket, but it wasn't there. I tried my other pocket: nada. I practically slapped my whole body trying to find it: nothing. I almost groaned aloud. Ugh, I forgot my room key! I couldn't enter the pool area!

But then another realization hit me: I couldn't enter my room. Oh, no problem. Liam's in there and he could open the door for me. But he's a heavy sleeper....

Frick me.

My coffee wasn't done yet, so I decided I was just going to have to sit in the lobby and wait. I wasn't exactly sure what I was waiting for, but it was the only plan I got so I went with it.

I followed the hallway back to the snack bar, and took a seat on one of the couches. I scowled as I stared at the TV. It was on mute, so you couldn't hear a single thing. What's the point of that?

I don't know how long I sat there for, but after what was probably a few minutes I felt someone sit next to me. I glanced over.

It was a boy around my age, and he had ruffled brown hair that looked like he had styled it that way purposely. His eyes were a light green color, and there was a spray of freckles across his nose. In other words, he was cute.

"Are you just going to stare at me like that?" the boy suddenly asked, not taking his eyes off the television. "Or are you going to finally ask me my name?"

I blushed when I realized I was looking at him longer than was appropriate. "Sorry," I apologized. "Um, what's your name?"

"Aiden," he replied, flashing me a trademark-worthy grin. I smiled back. "What's your name?" he asked.

"Delilah," I said before I could stop myself. Oh well, it's not like he knew I was a Payne. "But most call me Lily."

He nodded and raised an eyebrow. "You're with a parent, I assume?" he said. "Or running away. You look a bit young to stay in this fancy place by yourself."

I bristled slightly. Did I really look so vulnerable to everybody? "Older brother," I corrected him. "What about you?"

"My mother," he said. "My parents recently divorced, so now we're trying to make our way to Hollywood." He made a face when he said "Hollywood". But it wasn't a disgusted face, just a silly one. I giggled.

"What's wrong with Hollywood?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing," Aiden said quickly. "I just like it here better."

"I can't wait till I go to America," I said excitedly.

"You're going too?" he asked, and I realized my mistake too late.

"Oh, um," I stammered. "My brother... likes to... travel!" What kind of answer was that? I sounded like an idiot!

"And he's taking you with?" Aiden asked, looking confused. "But what about your parents?"

"They're in Mexico," I said with a shrug. "I was given permission to travel with him."

Aiden nodded. "That makes more sense," he said. Why did he have to be so logical? And why did he need to know this stuff?

"Where'd you get that coffee?" he asked. I nodded in the direction of the snack bar. "Over there," I said. "But it's going to be closed soon. It closes at 9pm."

"Darn it," he said, snapping his fingers.

"You can have some of mine," I offered and held my cup out to him. He took it gratefully and drank some.

"So...." I said, feeling awkward. I wanted to know more about him, since he knew a lot about me. Sort of. "What's your favorite color?" I blurted out.

"Blue," he replied immediately.

"Favorite animal?"

"Lion."

"Favorite subject in school?"

"Am I supposed to have one?"

"Favorite food?"

"Chocolate."

I grinned. I liked this guy.

"Are we suddenly playing twenty questions?" Aiden asked, chuckling.

"Sure," I said with a shrug. "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

"Psychologist."

I stared at him. "Really?" I said in surprise. "That's what you want to be?"

"Yeah," he replied. "Is that a problem?"

"No, not at all," I said hastily. "I just wasn't expecting that."

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Either a singer or dancer," I replied.

He nodded, looking me and up down. "I can see that happening," he said, going all psychologist on me.

I blushed. "Um, thanks?" I said uncertainly, unsure if it was a compliment. He winked at me.

"Delilah!" a voice shouted from above us and we looked up. I groaned inwardly. Zayn was glaring down at us. Just my luck.

"Is that your brother?" Aiden asked me. I shook my head. "No, that's a friend of my brother's," I said.

"He looks kinda familiar...." Aiden said, frowning. "In a weird kind of way." I grimaced.

Zayn disappeared from view, and I figured he was taking the elevator down to get me. "I guess I have to go now," I grumbled. "My brother and his friends are so overprotective."

"There's more of you?" Aiden laughed and I nodded. "How many?" he asked.

"Around six," I giggled.

"It was nice to meet you, Lily," he said kindly. I was pleasantly surprised he remembered my nickname, and I smiled. "Ditto, Mr. Aiden," I replied. "What's your phone number?"

He looked surprised that I asked. I smirked to myself.

"Um, it's--" He told me his phone number, and I put it under my contacts on my phone.

"Thanks," I said. "Here's mine--"

He took out his phone and his fingers were quick as lightning typing it in. "It would probably be best if my friends don't find out about this," I said. "And probably not your mother."

"No kidding," he agreed. "I don't usually give my phone number to girls I just met fifteen minutes ago." I laughed.

The elevator door dinged and Zayn stomped out. "Call me maybe," I told him and walked over to Zayn.

"Ditto!" Aiden called after me.

Zayn pushed me into the elevator and hit the number forty button. As soon as the doors slid shut, he started to lecture me, but I didn't pay him any attention. I was feeling pretty proud of myself. I made a new boy friend in under twenty minutes. Note the space there.