Chapter 22

Chapter 22

"You ready for this, Harry?" I asked, cutting thin air with my scissors.

"Yes," he replied impatiently. "Just cut the damn thing off already."

"Language!" Liam yelled at him.

"Lily dropped the F-bomb a couple days ago," Louis piped up.

"Shut up," I hissed, glaring at him. He smirked back at me. Liam thumped the back of my head, throwing hair into my face. "Lily!" he scolded.

"What?" I demanded, flipping my hair back. "I bet you've done it before. And besides, think about this: what makes a word bad? Hmm? Answer me that!"

Liam looked confused. "Darn you, Lily," he muttered. I smirked.

"Hey!" Harry yelled. "Attention back on me please! Where it's needed!"

I scowled at him. "Ready?" I repeated.

He gave me a smartass look. "Lily, if you don't cut it off in the next five seconds I'll cut it off myself and that's not the only thing I'll be cutting," he said all in one breath. I shut my mouth and carefully inserted the scissors into Harry's cast.

We'd decided that instead of going to a hospital and getting charged a hundred dollars for a doctor to take it off, we'd cut the cast off ourselves. I volunteered.

I snapped the scissors shut. "Bingo!" Niall said as he took the cast off of Harry's arm.

"And flex!" Louis said and Harry twisted his wrist around.

"About time!" he exclaimed.

I smiled. "Party time!" I yelled.

"All day, all night," Louis said, grinning.

"DJ Malik," Zayn added.

"I agree with Lily," Harry cut in. "I'll get the cake!" he yelled.

"Whoa, is that really necessary?" Liam asked. We all stared at him. "When is cake NOT necessary?!" Niall and I yelled at him.

"Um, now?" he replied. I rolled my eyes at him. "Screw you," I said. "I'll help choose the music." I smiled again.

"Now that's going too far," Harry said. "We cut off my cast, not celebrating prom."

I glared at him. "I wish," I muttered under my breath. I wondered what prom's like....

"Fine," Liam sighed. "You can get a cake."

"I'll come with him," I offered immediately. Harry and I had gotten real close, which I found kind of strange since we sort of resented each other at first.

Louis and I were okay with each other, but I'd been keeping my distance. I could tell it sort of hurt him, but I think he really needed it. I'd overheard his conversation with Eleanor. Luckily, it went well. He didn't mention the kiss.

"No, you're not," Liam disagreed. "You're staying here."

I glared back at him. "Make me," I retorted. "Come on, Harry, let's run for it!"

We jumped up and sprinted off the bus. "Fine!" Liam yelled after us. "But make it quick! No horsing around!"

"I don't think he thought about that last sentence real hard," I giggled as soon as we were by Harry's rental car.

He nodded, unlocked the doors, and we got inside. I got shotgun, duh, and Harry was driver, double duh. I couldn't wait till I got my own driver's license.

"Know any good cake stores?" I asked.

"Nope," Harry replied. "I guess we'll just have to drive around and hope to find something."

"I guess," I echoed.

He started the car and stomped on the gas, making me lurch forward. "Hey!" I yelped. "Easy, lead-foot! I don't want to die!"

He laughed, but slowed down. "At least you're driving and not Louis," I said as he pulled onto the road. "He drives like an old lady."

Harry glanced at me. "Are you pissed at Louis or something?" he asked me. "You aren't hanging out with him as much, and you ignore him really obviously when he tries talking to you."

I blushed slightly and felt a little bad. Was I really that obvious? "Well," I sighed. "Let's just say that Louis did something he shouldn't have and I have yet to forgive him fully. How's that?"

Harry shrugged. "Sounds like the kind of thing Louis would do," he said. "Only you would be congratulating him, not be pissed at him."

I looked out the window. I didn't want to talk about Louis.

"Let's talk about cakes," I said loudly, and Harry chuckled. "That's what I love about you, Lily," he said. I glanced at him. "What?" I asked. He shook his head, still looking amused. "It's hard to explain," was all he said.

I narrowed my eyes. Harry had said "that's what I love about you".... Oh, who gave a shit? I was turning into Liam!

"What's your favorite kind of cake?" I asked Harry.

He looked thoughtful. "Vanilla cake with chocolate frosting," he decided. "You?"

I only stared at him. "You're crazy!" I accused. "Chocolate overrules all! I like two chocolate chip cookies on top of each other with vanilla frosting in the middle as cake and on top there's three layers of rainbow frosting!"

Harry stopped at a red light and stared at me. I stared back at him. Then we burst out laughing. You know how you can just stare at your best friend's face and bust up in laughter? Yeah, that's what happened.

"Apparently you like frosting on your cake," Harry gasped out and I laughed harder. No noise was coming out of my mouth and I couldn't breathe. Something's wrong with me! I finally breathed in and spoke. "You should probably go, Harry," I wheezed. "The light is green." He stepped on it.

"Look!" I shouted a few moments later. "A cake store!"

"Weird," Harry muttered but pulled into the parking lot anyway. The store was called, "Grandma C's". Kind of creepy, if you asked me.

We entered the store and the old lady behind the counter looked up. She smiled at us. I smiled back. Maybe she wasn't so bad.

"How can I help you?" she asked.

"We would like a cake--" Harry started to say but I interrupted him. "Give us the biggest whopping cake you've got!" I shouted, throwing my hands up in the air. Harry grinned and nodded.

The old lady laughed. "Alright," she said. "Chocolate, vanilla, or somewhere in between?"

"Oh, boy," I breathed. "This is going to take all of my skills. You can look around if you like, Harry."

He rolled his eyes. "Fine, but make it quick," he told me and wandered over to the cookie section.

"Already?" the lady asked incredulously. I frowned in confusion. "Already what?" I asked.

"Aren't you two a bit young to be engaged?" she asked.

I stared at her before laughing loudly. Not to mention my face was a little red. "Oh no," I said. "We're not engaged. We're just friends."

The lady narrowed her eyes. "No," she protested. "You have to be more than friends."

I tried not to glare at her. Okay, now she was starting to get on my nerves. "How do you know?" I challenged.

"It's in the way he looks at you," she stated calmly. "The way my husband and I look at each other. If that's not love, I don't know what it is."

I frowned again, but this time I was less annoyed. "Well, I can assure you we're only friends," I said.

"Then what is the cake for?"

"We're celebrating that his cast is finally off his wrist."

That sounded kind of strange, and the old lady looked at me weirdly, but I didn't elaborate. MYOB, Ms. Matchmaker.

I decided on the chocolate cake, and she brought it out, putting it into a box. I paid for it. "Hey, Harry!" I said, turning around with the heavy cake in my hands. "I've got the cake! Let's go!"

Harry came over and took the cake away from me. I shook out my arms and he carried it like it was as light as a feather. Yep, I was a weak person.

As we went back to Harry's car, my thoughts couldn't help but wander back to what that old lady said. Did Harry really love me? We barely know each other!

I watched Harry closely as he put the cake in the back while whistling to some unknown tune.

No, I decided. That old lady was off her rocker. We're just friends. I think I would know if a guy like-liked me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Gosh, I'm really sorry for not updating sooner! It's just that I know what the last chapter is going to be, but I don't know how to put in the middle chapters! Also I feel like I'm rushing this, jumping weeks at a time to finish this sooner. PLEASE tell me if this is too rushed! I will gladly slow it down for you.

I also want to thank all of you "Mute" lovers out there. All of the comments and votes are so nice. Seriously, you're being too kind! But if you liked "Mute", you'll definitely like my new fanfiction coming up called "Snapshot". It's not published yet, but once I finish this and "Chains" it will be!

Keep reading and voting, but most of all, stay beautiful,

-Sammi <3