Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I woke up to someone shaking my arm. I frowned and rolled over, hoping to tell the person I wasn't interested and to get out of my face. And off my arm.

But he (it had to be a he) persisted, and shook my arm harder. I put my arm under my blankets and tried not to scowl. He shook my back.

"Go away!" I snapped and put a pillow over my head.

"Wake up!" he retorted and pulled the pillow off my head. I lashed my hand out and hit something that wasn't me or my bed. He yelped and, satisfied with the sound, I sat up.

Louis rubbed his cheek and glared at me. I bit back a scream and covered my face with my pillow.

"I'm guessing you're up," he mumbled.

"You think?!" I hissed into my pillow. "Louis, what are you doing here?!"

"I can't understand you with your face in a pillow," he said and I drew it away from my face but still covered it up. I repeated my question.

"Oh, well, um," he said uncertainly. "I kind of wanted to ask your permission if it was alright I pranked Liam."

I frowned. "Um, fine," I said reluctantly. He sighed in relief. "Oh, good," he said. "Cause I already did."

I groaned and tried not to face-palm, as that would reveal my face as I dropped my pillow. "What did you do?" I asked. He winced. "Oh, I kind of...."

Before he could finish his sentence, a scream filled my ears. "SPOONS!!" it said.

I glared at Louis. "What did you do?" I repeated, this time more demanding.

"I might have... covered him... in spoons," he said sheepishly and I scowled. I hit his face with my pillow. "Thanks a lot," I said. "Now he won't shut up for the rest of the day."

Louis gave me an odd look. "What do you mean?" he asked, but before I could explain, there was another scream. "LOUIS!!"

"Gotta scram!" Louis said quickly and ran from my room. I rolled my eyes. No use going back to sleep now.

I rolled out of bed and went over to my suitcase. I pulled on some white skinny jeans and a lavender t-shirt. I ran a brush through my hair until it felt soft to the touch and pulled it back into a messy ponytail.

I skipped out of my room with exaggerated happiness and nearly smashed into Zayn. He glared at me. "Where's Louis?" he demanded. "I need to kill him." I pointed down the hall and he took off. So much for my BFFL.

I went into the kitchen and saw Niall and Harry already there. Louis was probably running, Zayn was probably searching for him, and Liam was probably rocking back and forth on his bed, eyes wide. I would know because I did the very same thing to him.

"Morning, Lily," Niall said, stuffing pancakes into his mouth. I raised an eyebrow slightly. Lily? Well, I wasn't complaining.

"Morning, Niall," I replied. Harry barely glanced up at me before resuming to pick at his pancakes. He didn't seem very hungry.

"HIDE ME!!" someone screamed and suddenly I was attacked in a weird kind of hug. Louis held me in front of him like a shield and I sighed. Zayn ran around the corner. "LOUIS!!" he yelled.

"Everyone, stop screaming!" I ordered. They stared at me. I turned around and lightly slapped Louis in the face. "Happy now?" I asked Zayn.

He sighed. "Yeah, I was just doing Liam a favor," he said. "He's practically traumatized."

"I'm not surprised," I said. "I did the same prank on him."

"Great minds think alike," Louis smirked.

"Shut up," I told him. "Time for breakfast! I'll get Liam."

I went over to his room and knocked on the door. "Liam," I called softly. "It's Delilah. Or Lily, whichever you prefer. I'm going to come in, okay?"

He didn't answer, so I came in. He stared at me, knees hugged to his chest, and his lips were moving as he kept stammering the word "spoons" over and over again. I went over to him slowly and rubbed his back.

"Liam, time for breakfast," I said, continuing to use my quiet voice, and gently pulled him up to his feet.

"Spoons," he told me. For the first time I noticed spoons littered all around his room. I tried not to scowl as I pushed him out the door. "Don't worry," I soothed him. "Louis got in trouble. He was punished."

"Good," Liam growled, and I was surprised. He's stronger than the last time I saw him around spoons, maybe he wouldn't be traumatized. Good, because that would ruin the whole affect of the worm-spaghetti dinner. I felt a tingle of excitement: I couldn't wait.

I sat him down and made him hold a fork. He stared at it. "Not a spoon," he said and began to eat.

"Okay, that is kind of funny," Niall commented as he helped himself to some more pancakes. "Leave some for me," I said and poked his hand with my fork. He withdrew his hand and I gave myself a couple. I slathered them in syrup and began to eat.

"So, what are today's plans?" Zayn asked, sitting on Liam's other side.

Niall shrugged. "Usually Liam knows," he said. "But naturally someone had to mess that up." He glared at Louis, who shrugged helplessly. "I didn't think he would take it this hard," he said defensively.

"Trust me," I said. "He was a lot worse when I did it."

Harry pushed his plate away and left, like my last sentence disgusted him. I frowned. "What's up with him?" I asked.

"Whoever knows with Harry?" Zayn replied.

I settled back, but I still felt kind of bad for some reason. Harry had barely spoken to me since he agreed to let me stay. It made me wonder if I insulted him or something.

"I'm going out," I announced, standing up.

"With who?" Niall asked, and I blushed. "Nobody," I retorted. "I'm just going out. For a walk."

Liam didn't say anything, thank goodness, so I put my plate in the sink. "Should one of us come with you?" Zayn asked, with a pointed glance at Liam. I sniffed. "I can take care of myself," I said, a bit haughtily. "I'm only going for a walk around."

"Get back before Liam regains his senses," Louis said and I nodded. I found it amazing that they were already trying to protect me and they'd barely known me for more than a day. It was kind of endearing yet annoying at the same time.

"I'll be back soon," I promised and ducked out of the bungalow, ditching my jacket.

It was cool outside, but isn't it always? A grin formed on my lips and I ran down the sidewalk, relishing the fresh air. Nobody was out and walking, but that didn't bother me. Less people out to see me the better.

I continued to run and jump at random times. Freedom! I ran and ran and ran, farther and farther and farther. Going nowhere. Going anywhere.

Finally I had to stop because my heart was beating like a rabbit's, my throat was dry, and my legs felt like jelly. I looked around. I had no idea where I was. Great. I was standing next to what looked like an abandoned warehouse, and across the street was a convenience store. But it looked closed. In fact, all of the buildings around me seemed closed. A man was walking his dog. He seemed... sinister.

I nearly slapped myself. Come on, Lily, I told myself irritably. Don't be so quick to judge people. It's a man walking his poodle. Get a grip.

I slipped my hand into my pocket and took out my phone. I'd better call Liam and tell him to come find me. I was searching for his number when I paused. What if he didn't answer? He might be too traumatized.

Then I glanced around again and continued to find his number.

I found it and hit the call button. I waited as it rang in my ear. It rang for a long time. A real long time, it seemed like. Then he answered.

"Hello?" a voice that was most definitely not Liam asked.

"H-hello?" I stammered.

"Who is this?" the voice demanded. "Delilah, is that you?"

"Y-yes, it is," I said, continuing to stammer, and I cursed myself. "Who is this?" I asked, more firmly.

"Zayn," the voice replied.

I frowned. "Zayn, what are you doing with Liam's phone?" I asked. "You nearly scared the willies out of me when Liam didn't answer!"

I heard a chuckle. "You do know what willy means, right?" he asked and I paused to think about it. I turned beet red. "Oh, shut up," I muttered and he laughed.

"I took Liam's phone because he refused to answer," he explained. "It was just ringing and ringing, and it was starting to get annoying, and Niall yelled at me to answer it before he shut it up himself." I couldn't help but smile at that.

"Where are you?" Zayn asked, getting back to the matter at hand.

"That's just the problem," I said, a bit sheepishly. "I don't know."

I heard him sigh. "Can you describe your surroundings to me?" he said, more like commanding me than asking.

I didn't answer but instead looked around again. "I'm standing next to a warehouse," I said. "There's a convenience store across the street. There are a bunch of buildings, but they all look dark and closed. There's a man walking his poodle down the street."

"Okay," Zayn said, sounding slightly confused. Probably wondering how the heck that last sentence helped him out.

"I just remember turning left and running straight on from there," I added. That had to be helpful.

"Thanks, Delilah," Zayn said. "We'll be right there. Niall's agreed to look after Liam so he doesn't find out about this. Harry's staying behind too. Me and Louis are coming to get you. You owe each of us one."

I sighed in relief. "You betcha," I agreed. "See you soon." I heard a click on the other end, meaning he'd hung up. "Hopefully," I added softly and hung up as well.

I put my phone away and leaned up against the brick wall of the warehouse. It was cold against my back, and I shivered. I hugged myself to keep warm. Now I kind of wished I had brought that jacket.

The man and his poodle were gone. I was alone. And I didn't like the feeling. It's paradise when Mum and Father are out and you have the house to yourself. You're alone when you want to be. But being alone on the streets without having any idea of where you are is kind of scary and unsettling.

I wondered if they'd find me. What if I was lost forever? No, that couldn't be possible. Someone would find me, if not the boys or my parents.

I checked the time on my phone. Near eleven. Gosh, that late already? How long had I been running for? It only seemed like ten minutes ago. Didn't I just have breakfast? Apparently not, because I was starting to get hungry. I wondered if that convenience store would ever open.

I kicked a pebble and it skittered away. I kicked at another pebble, but missed. I noticed a big rock and kicked that. I stubbed my toe and I swallowed back a curse. Naturally.

I heard a car engine and I straightened up hopefully. I peered around the corner and a black car came around. I started to smile, but I still didn't know who it was yet. It could be Zayn and Louis, or some strangers out to get me. Let's hope it's the first option.

The car started to slow, and I tensed. The driver's window rolled down.

"Delilah!" a voice yelled and I sighed in relief. I ran over and both boys glared at me.

"Get in," Zayn ordered and I opened the door, slid into the back seat. Louis started driving before I could strap myself in.

"What were you thinking?" Zayn demanded. "We almost lost you! You said you were going for a walk and you would come straight back, but you didn't!"

I felt myself sag back into my seat. I'd made them mad. Not even after one day and they're pissed at me.

"How do you think Liam would've felt?" Zayn went on. "You're lucky that in his condition he wasn't entirely focused on what was going on, but if he had, he would be going out of his mind! I understand that you wanted this freedom. Actually needed this freedom, but you can't spoil it. Because if you run off like this again we're going to have to lock you up in the bungalow."

"What!" I yelled and the car swerved.

"Geez!" Louis hollered. "Keep it down! It's hard to concentrate with all this screaming going on!"

I rolled my eyes. Classic coming from him. But that's not the problem here.

"You can't keep me locked up!" I begged. "I've been waiting for this since forever! Have some pity on me! How would you feel if you were kept out of sunlight and fresh air for seventeen years?" I added emphasis into my voice when I said the last two words.

But that challenge wasn't entirely true. My parents would let me go outside so I wouldn't turn a sickly color. It was either go out early morning or very late, so no one could see me. And since I liked my beauty sleep, I chose the latter option.

This is why I kind of liked the darkness over the light: running around in the grass, catching fireflies and setting them free. Counting the stars and seeing the moon glow. Reaching up to touch the endless sky. The boys would never understand, not even my parents.

Zayn and Louis were quiet for what seemed like a long time. "I don't think I would be able to stay sane," Louis finally said solemnly. I rolled my eyes again. He wasn't sane, no matter what.

"You're right if you think I'll never understand," Zayn said quietly, reading my thoughts. "But you have to stay safe. You need to understand that."

I sighed and looked out the window. It was tinted, so I couldn't see much outside. "I know," I mumbled miserably.

Ten minutes later we were at the bungalow. I had no idea I had run that far. I wondered how they found me. I hopped out and ran up to the front door, waiting impatiently for the two older boys to hurry up and open it.

"It's unlocked, you know," Louis told me as he brushed past me and went inside. I blushed. Oh. Zayn went in next and I followed him.

Niall and Liam were in the kitchen. Liam was right where I left him, and he hadn't even changed his position. Niall was watching him and nibbling on a muffin. Harry was nowhere to be seen.

Niall looked up, and his eyes widened when he saw us. He dropped his muffin. "Delilah!" he cried and ran over to attack me in a hug. "Where were you?" he asked after I had hugged him back and gently pushed him away.

"Near some warehouses," Zayn replied for me, sounding dark. "All closed. No man with his poodle."

"He was there," I said defensively. "But that's not the point. I'm fine, now can we move on?"

"No," Zayn and Niall said in unison. "Liam should know--"

"He can't know!" I exclaimed, interrupting them. "He'll kill me and send my remains back off to Mum and Father! And as much as my remains would probably like Mexico, I like it here better!"

They stared at me thoughtfully. "You do?" Niall finally asked.

I sighed. "Yes, I do," I confirmed. "I like having friends for once, and I like being around my big brother all the time. I like having a sense of freedom. PLEASE don't take that away!" I begged.

Zayn sighed. "Fine, but next time we're telling him," he said grudgingly. I smiled. "Thank you!" I cried and attacked them both in a hug. I felt a tap on my shoulder, and turned to see Louis looking at me pleadingly. "Me too?" he asked and I giggled. I hugged him too.

My stomach rumbled and I blushed. "Is lunch ready?" I asked, pulling back.

"You're late," Niall said but dragged me into the kitchen anyway.

"As an apology for my behavior," I announced at dinner time. "And as a thank you for letting me stay here, me and Louis decided to make you all my famous spaghetti dinner."

We were all sitting around the kitchen table with our food in front of us. I decided to stick with a peanut-butter-and-Nutella sandwich, and Louis made me make him some more spaghetti so the others wouldn't look suspicious. Liam was healed mostly, and he was giving me a suspicious look but smiling all the same. Niall and Zayn looked like they just wanted to dig in--especially Niall--and Harry was just staring off into space again. The prank was pretty much wasted on him.

"What we have here is my spaghetti with sauce," I said, gesturing around. Louis had wanted to replace the sauce with ketchup, and I would have agreed with him, but I decided to lighten up the prank because of my mistake earlier today.

"And a new favorite: extra chunky chocolate milkshakes," I added. Louis caught my eye and sent me a smirk. I winked back. "Dig in!" I cried and Niall began to wolf it down. I winced and tried not to throw up. Gosh, all those worms....

Zayn held up a forkful and swallowed. He made a face. "These noodles taste funny," he said. I tried not to laugh as Louis and I high-fived underneath the table.

Liam held up a long "noodle". He peeked at it. "That doesn't--" he started to say but then his eyes widened. "WORMS!!" he screamed and everyone's eyes widened except for me and Louis'. I was trying really hard not to laugh now, and Louis looked like he was sucking on a sour lemon.

"What!" Niall choked and started coughing. He yelled a word that rhymes with "truck" and started gulping down his milkshake. I wrinkled my nose. He choked again and stared at me. "What is in this?!" he demanded.

I grimaced. "Some vanilla ice cream," I started. "Maybe a few handfuls of mud...." My voice trailed off as Niall turned a pale color. He yelled that word again before sprinting from the room.

"I think I'm going to be sick," Zayn moaned and raced from the room.

Liam stared at his plate, then started grabbing at his stomach. "I have... worms in me?" he asked nobody in particular.

"Yep," I said cheerily. "Plus some mud if you had the milkshake." He turned a green color before he ran too.

That's when me and Louis started cracking up. "Yes!" we yelled.

"Up high!" I said and we high-fived again. "That was priceless!" I giggled.

"Money worthy," Louis agreed. "Something we should definitely do again."

"Just not to them," I added.

"Right," he said quickly.

For the first time I noticed that we weren't the only ones left in the room. Harry was staring down at his plate and playing with his food. He looked a little green too, and I felt a bit guilty. After all, whatever bad did he do to me? I winced. And whatever bad did Niall and Zayn do to me? I hate guilt.

Harry pushed his plate away. "I think I'm through with food," he said and walked away. He didn't look at either of us. Louis and I glanced at each other nervously. Harry had sounded serious, and I got the feeling he hadn't been eating well recently....

I could hear the sounds of vomiting in the kitchen, and my stomach churned. "I didn't think they would puke!" I cried.

Louis shrugged and sat back, putting his arms behind his head. "That's what you get when you mix worms and mud in a person's body," he said. "Spit-up."

This just kept getting better and better.