From The Start

"GooOooOood Morning!!"

That was the sound that awoke me as the clock turned to 6:30 AM. I had seen a video with the meme and now it was the only thing that scares me out of bed. If it works, it works...

I quickly grabbed my outfit that I had planned the day before, going into the bathroom to take a shower. It was really early in the morning, but at least it meant I would get most of the hot water first. It was exciting, finally being ready to venture into the acting world. My dad always told me that it was a dangerous world, and he wanted to protect me. But I think I was ready. The contract and paparazzi said so.

The contract was for a movie. It was centered around this girl who could manipulate the universe, but when her powers went awry, she unleashed chaos on the world. And I don't mean "Oh oops! Extra monkeys!" I mean "Oh shit, that's a nuke." That's a little exaggerated. Maybe.

Dad told me to call him before I went to hair and makeup so that's what I did. I set up my phone against the mirror and pressed the FaceTime video. It rang. And rang. "Mija! Oh, the trailer looks nice!" I smiled, waving him off. "How's the bed? How's the cast?" I chuckled. Leave it to my dad to sound more excited than one of the main characters...

"Papi! So many questions, you act like you're not an actor yourself." He chuckled, seemingly walking to the kitchen for his coffee. "The bed's nice. I'm meeting the cast in a bit. Line reading, then me, the other kid and adult leads are going somewhere apparently. It's a bit cold at night around here, though."

"That's Vancouver for you. Did you pack the extra blanket like I told you?" I nodded, showing him a piece of it. "That should keep you warm. And have fun! You're going to love some of the cast members. I snooped around."

"Oh my God, really?" I asked. The director had refused to tell most people who they were working with. Maybe because it was a lot of kids? I was fine with it, but this was my first acting job. I wanted to know what to expect. My dad nodded on the other line and opened his mouth to say something, but the trailer door echoed a small knock. "That's Hair and Makeup looking for me. Love you Papi!" I said, waiting for him to acknowledge he heard me as he waved me goodbye and ended the call. "Coming!" I yelled to the person outside my door. I grabbed my jacket and my phone, checking myself in the mirror and smiling. Let's go.

The girl who came to pick me up was really sweet. Her name was Amybeth, she was in her 20s, and she was my assigned makeup lady. She said that I was her first client in the acting scene, and I told her how sweet it was that we were having our firsts together. I loved tiny coincidences. After I told her what I usually did for makeup, she glammed me up with a small natural look, only adding a small amount of foundation (I broke out once after using it and was terrified to try it again), and then some blush and lip gloss. I smiled as I looked in the mirror. Hair was next. My stylist came to me. She was a bit more serious and looked more in her 30s. I learned that her name was Alma and that she had only done hair for two years. She had a simple hairstyle, two french braids. My hair stayed in place and I thanked her, looking in the mirror. I had picked this cute pink long sleeve shirt and these sweatpants with butterflies on them. Thankfully, Amybeth had these gorgeous hoops with butterflies on them. I love butterflies. I waved goodbye to Alma, and walked out, heading towards the set.