If This Was A Movie

After checking my outfit for the fourth time in the mirror, I decided it was time to head out. As I went to grab my phone, I noticed I had missed a call from my dad. Weird. I could've sworn my ringer was on. I turned it on again and texted him.

~~

J
r u ok?

Pedro Pan
Yeah I'm ok mija
Wanted to see how your day had gone
Call me when you can!
💗

J
give me two seconds

~~

"Papi! Sorry I missed your call," I apologized, sitting down in the same spot as earlier. I propped my phone up and looked in the mirror, debating messing up my hair for the third time.

"It's ok, I'm sure you were busy," he said, seemingly cooking. The sound of cutting vegetables came over from his end.

"Are you cooking something?" I asked, trying to confirm it for myself. I couldn't see any pans or anything.

"Yeah, I'm making some rice and frijoles. But enough about me! Table read, meet the cast? How's Bella?" he asked anxiously. Again, how was this famous, well-known actor more excited than I am?

"It was amazing!" I squealed. "I met so many cool people, there's other kids my age here. Bella's great, they've been showing me around, and by that I mean they took us to Olive Garden. I'm going to Momona's trailer for a movie night with all teens."

"Just you and the other girls?" he asked, raising his eyebrow.

"No papi. Walker's going to be there too. He's one of Momona's closer friends anyways."

"I don't need you doing stuff you know you shouldn't-"

"Ew, papi, no! Nothing of the sort! I've literally only known him for a day," I said, surprised at my own father, even though I knew he was only joking. I heard his deep laugh and realized he knew I was playing as well.

"Well, it's good you're settling in okay over there. Now I've got news to tell you," he said, finally settling down in front of his camera. Usually his news was a surprise visit, but I doubted that was the case this time. I nodded, letting him know I was listening. "I got the role in a new show."

My eyes lit up. "Oh my God, Papi, that's amazing!" Then I saw his face. "It's not in Vancouver."

"I'm sorry mija. The shooting is in LA. And even though it's a show, it's going to take longer to shoot than your movie." That meant not seeing him in person for months. "If it makes you feel better, we can call. It'll be just like at home."

"No, papi. It's not that big of a deal!" I said, trying to convince myself as well.

"Mija, I'll be back home about a month after you. If you want you can stay at Bella's! We'll figure something out." Now I felt bad that he was feeling bad. Ironic.

"Ok. I have to go to a movie night." A beat. "Love you Pa."

"Oh, before you hang up," my dad started. "Don't tell anyone. About the new job, I mean. We're still casting but it's a lot of work and process. Just... forget I told you anything. Bye. I love you, J."

"Bye." I hung up and flopped on my bed, processing the news. Why did it feel worse now? He'd left for shows so many times, what made this feel so different? My phone buzzed in my hand, and I lifted it to see a text from my dad and Mo, but Dad was more important.

~~

Pedro Pan
Say it back

J
love you papi 😭