Because I "Liked" a Boy

TW: Cyberbullying/Harassment

~~

I took a couple more pictures of my face paint, trying my best to hide my anger with a fake smile. I sent them to Lele, and then hopped into the shower, cleaning myself off. Then the messages flooded my phone saying to go to Mo's for another movie night. I decided to go in my normal clothes. I planned to sleep in my bed. Just as I was about to knock on the door, a voice stopped me.

"Hey," I heard, and I turned around to see Cailey. "Are you okay?"  Her face screamed worry, and I felt my lip quivering. She immediately wrapped me into a hug, and I just sobbed. I didn't know what else to do, and it felt nice. After a couple gasps for air, Cailey banged on the door, letting Momona know we had arrived. She opened the door, and Cailey gently nudged me up the steps and inside, where Walker was already. I immediately wiped my tears and tried to avoid drawing more attention to myself.

"You're okay," I heard Momona say. I tried to not cry again, but no success, as the second I felt Mo's arms wrap around me, the tears fell. Walker got up too, and all four of us were just hugging. I think I heard sniffles, but mostly mine. We sat down on the floor around Mo's coffee table. "Okay, I heard part of the story," Mo said quietly after a minute or so of silence. "Why don't you try telling us yourself, J?"

I took a deep breath. "Well, me and Walker were playing mini-golf. I saw a camera flash a couple of times. I ignored it though. I thought it was my glasses." I paused and looked up. Walker wasn't looking at me, but Momona and Cailey were with gentle eyes. "After a while, the flashes were bigger and more often... and then more people came and then it happened." I sighed, and sniffled, wiping my nose. Mo rested her hand on my leg.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that. Unfortunately it's quite common... and us kids get the short end of the stick," she said, trying to comfort me. "I know that you're upset."

"I haven't had that kind of thing since The Walking Dead ended," Cailey said, seemingly remembering it. "It was a flash mob, but I had security guards. I think it could've gone much worse if Chandler hadn't told my parents to get security guards."

"Can we just watch a movie guys?" Walker said. I think I saw his eyes were wet. "I don't wanna talk about it anymore."

Momona got up and dragged him to the other side of her trailer, where they murmured things. Bailey handed me some candy, which I carefully munched on. They came back, and Walker sat down on the floor next to me. Mo sat across from us. Cailey scorched over and made it even. "So here's what we're gonna do," Mo started. "We're gonna watch comedy shows or movies. Any suggestions?" I smiled slightly and wiped my face one last time. I knew what to start off the night with.

"Let's watch the Good Place."

~~

It was a nice way to pass 3 hours worth of time. We laughed and giggled. I actually felt better. I felt my phone blowing up, so I had turned off notifications from Instagram and all my social media. Not today, not right now. After we all yawned at least 30 times, I decided I would head out for the night. Thankfully, I wouldn't have to shoot until Wednesday, since Monday and Tuesday were going to be "everyone but Jade" days. I headed over to my trailer, walked in, locked the door and made myself some hot chocolate. I drank it giddily, and then washed the mug and flopped on my bed.

I decided to end the night with some aimless scrolling through Tiktok, ignoring my 99+ notifications, which were probably profile views and likes. I did check my friends' direct messages, and I had a couple of Tiktoks to watch the Lele had sent me from, so I watched those and reacted accordingly. Then I went on Instagram, knowing I had to catch up on liking some posts. But something immediately had me on guard and worried. My Instagram notifications had skyrocketed. Not only that, I checked my notification center to see Lele had sent me a message with a link in it about 30 minutes ago with the text, "since when?"  When I opened it, there they were. The pictures of me and Walker running away from the paparazzi. His hand in mine. Crap. Everyone who saw it had taken it out of context, thanks to the headline. "Teen star Walker Scobell is seen holding hands with a mysterious girl!" I opened the Instagram notifications and realized they weren't followers, they were comments. Shit. How'd they find my account in the first place? I hesitated before opening the comments.

~~

Liked by lelelemon and others

jadenotthegem when i say i love flowers, i mean it

View all comments

lelelemon guys that's my friend
iminmybed28 tell her to back off my man
lelelemon excuse me? mind ur fkin business and stop harassing me

okayitsandrea29 how does it feel only being known as walkers gf
ykitzcarlie frrrr... shes prolly w him cuz hes famous

lemmeoutthebox ok i see what he sees

walkereditzss ew gold digger alert

lolitslola imagine being a gold digger

afterglowonly slut much? leave the kid alone, hes prolly not even your age

~~

Some posts were worse, calling me things like whore, slut, bitch. I had enough by the time I saw the word pedophile. Me and Walker were the same age. I might've seemed older, but him and I were both 15. I took screenshots and turned off my comments on all my posts, as well as made all my accounts private. Why were they so nasty? All we "did" was hold hands. Not even something bigger like a hug, and people were reacting like this.

I wiped sniffles and tears away, hoping nobody wouldn't pry about it. I tried thinking about what I should have done. Nothing right? I thought about calling Dad. Calling Bella. Surely the other teens hadn't gone to sleep yet? I put the phone up close to my ear, but couldn't bring myself to call anyone. I turned off my data, my wifi, and any way to reach me. I stared at the ceiling, my mind racing. The last thing I did was cry myself to sleep.