22

"Where is he?" I asked as soon as I entered the dorm again. Jisung was in the kitchen, no one else but he seemed to understand because he just pointed at Renjun's door. I nod, making my way across the room and knocking on the door louder than necessary.

The was no response.

I knocked again, and when I still got no response I just took it upon myself to just enter the room.

The lights were off, Renjun was tucked away in his bed and groaning loudly when his door had been opened. "What is it?" He spoke as if he had just woken up, stretching without sitting up to look at who was there.

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked with desperation, clenching the hem of my t-shirt as I awaited an answer.

Renjun sat up quickly, hands placed on either side of his body to support himself. "Y/n..." He called softly, as if he wasn't expecting me to talk to him again tonight. I waved a hand quickly, urging him to explain himself so I don't break down sobbing. "You didn't... do anything wrong." He spoke softly, avoiding eye contact with a guilty look on his face.

So he did something wrong?

"I don't understand? You were fine when we were taking this morning." I scoffed with frustration, swinging my arms around dramatically.

Renjun threw himself back down on the bed, hands coming up to cover his face. "I'm sorry." His voice broke, followed by quiet sobs as he started crying suddenly.

I frown, looking at my best friend with a mixture of confusion and worry once again. I took a step closer, reaching for his bed frame and taking a seat beside him.

He flinched, pushing himself away from my body. "Don't- Dont get too close." He begged, avoiding my touch like the plague.

I could only stare. I didn't understand and Renjun was having a hard time explaining.

"It's my fault." He groaned, sniffling and trying to wipe his tears away. "I did something wrong."

"What the fuck did you even do? I don't understand?" I started tearing up myself, wanting to move closer but knowing the response I would get.

Renjun scoffed, sitting back up and chucking loudly as if he wasn't covered in tears and had new ones falling at the same time. "How don't you get it? I don't think I hid it that well, Jaemin even confronted me about it last year." He dragged out the word 'last' , accentuating it and rubbing it my face that I was clueless about the matter.

"Last year?" I furrowed my eyebrows. "Renjun, what could you possibly have done wrong that happened a year ago?" There was a hint of anger in my voice, too frustrated with the other boy for keeping things from me.

"I thought I could do it." His voice went quieter again, softer than before. "I was doing good and then Kun had to fucking come along and mess everything up again." He tilted his head back, trying to stop the tears from falling.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I raised my voice, sick and tired of him for dragging this out so much.

"I need a break." Renjun huffed in defeat.

"A break?" I asked, scrunching my face up. "From what? Are you asking to go on hiatus?"

Renjun shook his head with another frustrated chuckle. "I need a break from you. I need to spend some time away from you so I don't fuck everything up." His voice was getting louder, Jisung could probably even hear us if he was still in the kitchen.

I looked at Renjun with my mouth slightly agape. I couldn't say anything; I didn't believe what he had just said.

"3 years I've been in love with you. 3 years I've been in love with my best friend and it takes a fucking dick apologizing once for you to fall head over heals in love with him." Renjun finally admitted, eyes cloudy from the amount of tears he was producing.

A moment of silent filled the room as I tried processing what he had said.

"You make me happy y/n." He spoke up again. "You make me so happy, and I don't want to throw our relationship away because of my stupid feelings. I want to be your best friend for the rest of our lives, I tried hard to ignore my feelings and pretend like everything is okay. It's not okay. I can't handle hearing about your stupid dates with your stupid boyfriend, and tonight when you turned down dinner it just set me off.

I don't want to ruin things between us, which is why I need to take a break from our friendship. I will figure things out, I will find a way to get rid of my fucking feelings and then I'll be back." Renjun looked up at me with the most desperate look I have ever seen on his face. "I need you to wait for me, y/n. Can you do that?"

✖️✖️✖️

So this is the thing that I've been hinting to for a while, even Renjun flirting and being possessive in the first book was part of the plan🤗