Chapter XXXX

“It's raining you brute, let me go!” A groan left Sophie's lips as Alexi continued ignoring her, keeping his eyes closed and his arms wrapped around her waist, preventing her from running off to dance in the rain.

“Now I have to add rain to my list of enemies.” Alexi spoke hoarsely, his morning voice running shivers across Sophie's skin, despite the heated room.
Sophie stopped trying to pry Alexi's hands off of her. “Why?”

Alexi opened one eye to look at Sophie. “Because it's taking your attention away from me.”

She groaned in frustration again. “How do you have enough energy to be this cheesy in the morning.”

He did not bother to reply, but instead he pulled his wife towards him and lifting her to lay atop him. I want warmth, that's why, he told himself.

Again, I repeat: the room is heated.

“You're a businessman, you like deals. So, let's make one.” Sophie offered, her head resting on top of her hands that lay on Alexi's chest. She looked up at her husband, who's head was propped up by his pillow. “A kiss for a dance in the rain.”

Alexi opened both his eyes this time. “Deal.”

A bellowing laugh left Sophie's lips at the prospect of winning.

And because Alexi seemed as eager as she was. It would be awful to be the only one feeling down bad for the other.
Sophie quickly pecked his lips. “Bye!” She was immediately stopped from getting up by Alexi's hands latching onto her waist, locking her in place. Sophie sat with her legs on either side of Alexi's torso.

“Do I look like a child asking for a good night's kiss?” Alexi lifted his arm before clasping his hand around Sophie's throat, squeezing slightly. “Do not try to trick me again, wife.”

The only response he received was a jagged breath from Sophie as she tried to not cower away from his threatening tone. “Now seal your end of the deal.”

Sophie did not hesitate to obey his commanding tone. Alexi 'the Russian Don' was speaking to her, not Alexi 'her husband'. With his hand still around her neck, Alexi was met with Sophie's soft lips, the ones he would classify as his current addiction. She nibbled on his bottom lip, teasing him, before he bit her lip in return.

There was no fight for dominance as he pulled her closer, so much so that their breaths mingled in the scarce amount of space between them. She gave in to his demands, letting him take a lead and taste her and feel the lips he claimed as his.

Sophie pulled back, partly for air, and partly because she was scared that the rain would stop before she managed to feel it. Staring at each other, their chests heaved at the lack of oxygen. Nothing that included the both of them was anything but intense.

“The rain.” She reminded him.

Alexi sat up on his bed with her on his lap. He traced the edges of her thighs that peeked from her nightdress and he wished he could keep her there forever. “I'm resisting the urge to lock you in this room. Fuck the rain and your stupid friends. You belong here, with me. You're my wife, for God's sake, and it feels like everyone and everything is taking you away from me.”

He leaned down and rested his head in the crook of her neck, inhaling her lavender scent and basking in her warmth, his bare, tattooed chest pressed against hers. Sophie swallowed every ounce of laughter and simply resorted to pressing her nose to Alexi's head and slinking her fingers in his hair.

“Alexi...” She whispered before kissing the side of his head. She only received a hum in response. “Do you have separation anxiety?” She asked.

A scoff left Alexi's lips. “Not that I know of, but I might as well have developed it since France.” His tone was dismissive, but Sophie couldn't help but frown at the prospect of both of them being equally effected by Sebastian's actions. She simply didn't realize that other people in her life could have suffered in different ways than she did.