5

He assumed that half the castle had collapsed into the sea while the other half remained a pile of rubble atop the cliff, he looked over the edge to see if the stranger had advanced any further up the cliff finding he hadn't he shouted a greeting "hello down there!" he waved "still going?"

The stranger sighed "I don't mean to be rude, but this is not as easy as I'm making it look so I'd really appreciate if you wouldn't distract me."

"oh sorry," Niall said again wandering away and randomly working with his sword he soon got bored and headed back over to the edge again "I don't suppose you could hurry up?" he asked still looking down to the stranger.

"If you're in such a hurry you could lower a rope, or a tree branch or perhaps find something useful to do." Niall grinned "I could do that, I do have some rope up here, but I do not think you would accept my help, you know since I am only waiting around to kill you,"

The stranger looked up through the dark mask covering his eyes "Well that does indeed put quite the damper on our relationship," Niall nodded "well okay, I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top,"

The stranger smiled "that is very comforting, but I'm afraid you'll just have to wait." Niall sighed at the slightly sarcastic tone and continued "I hate waiting, I could give you my word as an Irishman!"

The stranger reached for another rock "No good, I've known too many Irishmen for that to make me trust you." Niall sighed exasperated "Is there any way you will trust me?"

"Nothing specific comes to mind".

"How about I swear on the soul of my father that you will reach the top alive," The stranger caved "throw me the rope," Niall did a little fist pump of victory and ran back to get the half of the rope that had not fallen in the sea. He tossed it over the edge and helped to pull the stranger up the last few feet over the edge of the cliff.

Niall helped him to stand, he was surprisingly short but had an absolutely terrifying feel around him considering his outfit was completely black- a billowy black shirt with a silver chain hanging around his neck, you could see the traces of ink on his skin as well through the opening in his shirt as well his trousers and boots were also the same shade of black and the silvery sword stood out clearly at his waist. He thanked the blonde and gave him a slight smile and began to draw his sword although clearly still staggering.

"wait, wait, wait, we shall have a pause until you are ready, it's only fair," The dark stranger limped over to a rock and sat down "very kind of you,"

Niall nodded "of course." The stranger took his boots off and shook some large chunks of rock out of them, Niall started talking again "don't mean to pry, but you don't happen to have six fingers on your right hand?" the stranger looked at him like he was slightly mad "do you always start conversations in this way?"

" of course not, just, my father was killed by a six fingered man," the dark man in front of him raised a black gloved hand "fraid I've only got five,"

Niall nodded "my father was a great swordsmith, this six fingered man appeared and demanded a special sword from him, it took him a year before he was finally done." Niall unsheathed his blade, nonthreateningly holding it out for the stranger to see, it was indeed a beautiful blade, perfectly balanced with a twisted bejewelled cage the would encase your hand when held.

He held it out to the masked man in front of him "here," the gloved leather hand wrapped around the hilt he took it weighing it in his hands "a beautiful weapon," he acknowledged "I've never seen one equal." he handed it back to Niall, who took it and continued his story.