womanizer

You arrived to the second of the three homes you'd ever lived in-- Drew's grand town house she and her long-time boyfriend, Ben, shared. You walked the concrete path lined with purple and white pansies to her front door, and before you even had the chance to knock, her Ring doorbell must've alerted her, and she was swinging open the door to greet you.

"Eek! You're here!" She squealed, snatching you up in a hug.

She smelled like a subtle mix of pistachio and salted caramel. Her long, shiny hair no longer had those chunky highlights, but was instead her natural color of deep brown so dark it looked black. Though it was only May and not officially summer yet, the freckles scattered over her cheeks and shoulders were darker now than any other time of year. She held you out at arms length to get a good look at you.

A few minutes of excited greetings later, she showed you to your old room where you could put your bags. The room looked nothing like how you'd left it-- yet another reminder of how much things had changed in the last seven years. But this specifically you were glad looked different; the time period you'd spent in this room was not a pleasant one to look back on. Or rather, the reason you were there in the first place wasn't.

The entire room was neutral tones now, with linoleum floors instead of the thick carpet and black-and-white everything you remembered. A few of Ben's certificates and sports awards decorated the walls, and the tiny table next to the bed had a picture of their blue-nosed pit in a silver frame. You set your bags down, and followed close behind Drew back down the still-carpeted stairs to the kitchen.

"Want some tea?" she offered.

"Eh, I'm still a little hot from outside," you said kicking off your shoes finally. "I'll pass."

"I mean I'm trying to talk shit."

"Oh," you laughed. "Well always yes to that."

She sat at one of her four kitchen chairs and gestured for you to do that same. Once you were sat, she said, "So I know Dante was like the only link between you guys but I don't know if he'd bring it up, so, did you hear anything about Brooks?"

You shook your head, and wanted to physically cringe at the name. Talk of Dante and Brooks together was dangerously close to talk of Jacob.

"Well, this girl he was letting stay with him accused him of... assaulting her."

"What?" your mouth hung open. "Like... hitting her?"

She pressed her lips into a line, "Nope."

"Ugh," you scoffed. "I believe her, he's disgusting and always been like that towards women."

11 years ago

    After three dates with Jacob and his parents, they told him as soon as he got his license you two could start going out alone. This was huge, and he got started on his 60 driving hours right away. It was June now, and with only 15 hours left to get in, he'd have it done before we knew it with all the free time school letting out would grant him. For now, his sister Isabella was driving you to Hershey Park along with his two closest friends, Dante and Brooks.

"I'm dying to see you in that bathing suit," Jacob whispered to you while everyone else was talking loud and distracted.

Your face heated immediately, and you looked over at his adorably mischievous smile and mirrored it. "Quit it," you whispered back shyly. "It's just a one piece."

"Doesn't matter," he pressed his leg a little harder against yours. "I'm still gonna--"

"No dude she was a psycho," Brooks' crude language grabbed your attention back to the group conversation. "She got upset every time I liked another girl's selfie. Like bitch grow up."