» 26

[TW: mention of death]

"We're nearly there, just a few hundred feet more

"We're nearly there, just a few hundred feet more."

Olek led a group of refugees through the forest quickly and quietly. These were people that he'd been able to scrounge up from Lyra, people who were afraid of the sudden separatist forces in their streets, people who were threatened with arrest when speaking out.

Together, Olek and Feera were able to gather no more than thirty-eight people from the main city, some being children, others soldiers, and even staffers from the palace. Their temporary home was a cave in one of the mountains, well hidden by the tall pine trees. They had little chance of being discovered.

As Olek led the new group inside, he made sure to get a good look at every person. One of the last men of the group, seemed to catch his eye. "Doctor?"

It was the doctor who'd thrown Venus under the bus. Interesting that he was here.

"Captain," the man ducked his head in shame. "Thank you for getting me out of there. I was sure I was going to die."

"Die?" Olek bitterly laughed. "What did you have to worry about? I thought you were on good terms with Aerol."

The doctor looked up, eyes full of guilt. "Is the Princess here?"

"No, she's long gone." Olek crossed his arms and stared him down. "What happened?"

There was a moment of silence between them when finally, he came clean. "It is about her daughter."

"