Chapter 19

Natalie came by my office right around noon and knocked on my door.

"Still want to do lunch?" She asked.

I nodded and got up from my desk, "I could definitely use a break."

We walked out of the office and around the corner to a small restaurant. We started to chat and eventually ordered our food.

While we were waiting, Natalie looked at me questioningly.

"Okay if I'm pushing too much, feel free to tell me," she said, "but was your date really that bad that you don't want to talk about it at all? I just have to ask."

I sighed and debated how to go about answering her.

"No, it's not that," I said quietly, "it was good actually I just - I kind of feel weird talking to you about it...considering what's going on."

"Oh," Natalie said, "yeah sorry, that's fair."

We were thankfully able to move past the awkward conversation about my date with Theo, and it ended up being a good lunch.

We talked on our way back to work and made our way back up to the office. When we got to the main area where our receptionist sat, I stopped when I saw Theo sitting there.

"Theo, hey...what are you doing here?" I asked.

Natalie looked over at me before she walked by and went back to her office.

Theo stood up and grinned at me as he held out a cup of coffee.

"Didn't see you this morning, so I thought you might need this," he said.

I took it from him and forced a smile as I tried to avoid the awkwardness.

"Thank you," I said, "come on, follow me."

We walked back to my office and he sat on the edge of my desk.

"Any reason why you've been avoiding me since Friday night?" He asked.

Damn it, why did all of this have to be happening at work.

"Theo, I wasn't trying to - " I stopped, not exactly sure where I was even going with this.

"It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you kissed the girl that I just saw you with and then brought me home and we slept together, would it?" Theo asked with a slight grin on his face.

My eyes widened and I all but ran over to shut my door.

"Can you not say that so loudly??" I quickly said.

"So that is why you've been avoiding me?" He asked as he raised an eyebrow.

"I didn't - I didn't think you saw that...I'm sorry. I know I messed up," I said.

I sat down at my desk and put my elbows on it as I put my face in my hands.

"Madison, I'm not mad," Theo said.

"What? You're not?" I said as I looked at him, "and why didn't you say anything when you saw us on Friday?"

"I told you before that I'm okay with you taking time to decide what you want, we're just having fun, right?"

I nodded slowly at him, "I guess so..."

"And we were having a good time, I didn't want to ruin it, so I didn't say anything," he continued.

"But you still wanted to come home with me?" I asked him.

"I didn't see why not," he said with a shrug.

I wasn't really sure how to feel about what he was saying, but I guess he did have a point.

"Anyway," Theo continued, "I'll let you get back to work, just wanted to stop by and give you that and say hi."

He nodded towards the cup of coffee that was now on my desk before he turned towards the door.

"Thanks, for the coffee I mean," I said quickly before he walked out.

"No problem," he said with a grin, "see you later."

I watched as he opened my door and left, feeling a little bit stunned by the whole conversation.

Before I could collect my thoughts, Ella's head popped over in my doorway.

"What was that all about?" She asked.

"Don't even ask," I said, shaking my head.

"Okay, okay," she said, putting her hands up and claiming innocence, "just making sure you're okay."

"Yeah, I will be, thanks," I said dryly.

She nodded and went back over to her office. I tried to put my mind back on work for the rest of the day, but it was not an easy task.

Shortly after Theo left, I looked up to see Natalie walking by. I wasn't sure because it happened so quickly, but it almost seemed like she was glaring at me.

***

I was relieved when 5:00 finally came around and I was able to leave. I quickly walked out to the parking lot, eager to go home, when I heard Natalie's voice behind me.

"Sounds like that date went a little bit better than you let on," she said, sounding somewhat irritated.

I stopped and turned to face her as I let out a sigh, "so I'm guessing you heard Theo and I talking then?"

"He said it loud enough I'm pretty sure the whole office did," she responded.

"Great, that's just great," I said as I rubbed my eyes.

Natalie took a step closer to me and lowered her voice so no one else walking by would hear our conversation.

"I realize you said you still had to figure your feelings out, but I didn't think that meant you would kiss me and then go sleep with someone else a few hours later," she said intently.

"I know, I'm sorry. I drank too much and it kind of just happened, and I don't feel good about it. Believe me," I responded.

Natalie shook her head at me and walked towards her car. I followed behind her, not sure if we were done with our conversation. I didn't want to leave things like this.

"I really thought that me ending things with Eli and making my intentions pretty clear would clear things up for you too," Natalie said as she opened her car door, "but apparently not."

"Natalie...hold on," I said as I continued to walk towards her.

Her eyes briefly met mine before she got in her car and shut the door.

            —————————————————-