Chapter 35

*This chapter (and possibly a few others) will be from Natalie's POV. You'll see her name at the beginning of the chapter if there are any others like this. :)

*Natalie

A few days later, Madison was feeling a little better about everything so I had stayed at my own place.

I got ready for work and left to stop for coffee at a place on the way. I was waiting in line for my drink and looking at my phone, when I felt someone standing uncomfortably close behind me.

I stepped forward, trying to give myself some space, and glanced behind me. I almost didn't think anything of it until I did a double take and realized it was Kyle.

Part of me just wanted to turn around and slap him for all of the shit he'd pulled with Madison. It was tempting, but I refrained.

"What the fuck are you doing here Kyle?" I asked him under my breath.

"Just thought I'd stop by one of your usual places and have a little chat," he said with a sly grin.

One of my usual places? Why the hell did he know that?

"Weird that you know that, but sure, go for it," I said snidely.

"Obviously I know that you and Madison are together," he said.

"Correct," I responded, "and?"

"And I don't think you should be," he said, acting like it was the most normal comment in the world.

"Oh really?" I asked him sarcastically, "and why is that?"

Maybe if I humored him he'd be done with this and leave all of us alone.

"Because her and I should be together, it was a mistake that we broke up," he said.

"Not from what I hear," I muttered.

I saw anger flash in his eyes before he composed himself and continued on.

"No, we should be, and that's why I came here and it's going to happen," he said through gritted teeth.

"I hate to break it to you buddy, but I really don't think so," I said to him with a grin.

My name was called for my coffee order and I walked away to go grab it. I was hoping that he would give up on whatever the hell this was and be gone by the time I got my drink.

Once I had my coffee in hand, I turned around and realized he wasn't standing where he was before. So maybe he did get the picture?

The shop was pretty busy and I weaved my way through the group of people towards the door. I was about to walk out when Kyle stepped in front of me.

Jesus this guy was like an annoying little bug.

"Kyle, I need to go to work, excuse me," I said.

"I'm going to tell you again," he said quietly, "you and Madison shouldn't be together, and you need to take care of that."

"Take care of - what do you even mean?" I asked.

"Stop seeing her, break up with her, whatever you want to call it," he said calmly.

"And why would I possibly listen to you?" I asked as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"If you want what's best for her," he paused momentarily, "and for you, then you'll listen to me."

I briefly considered his words before I shook my head at him.

"Alright fuck off," I said as I pushed my way past him and out the door.

I know Madison had said he'd never done anything to hurt her, but damn he was a creep. I wasn't exactly sure what he meant, but I figured the best thing to do for now was to ignore it.

I walked out to my car and took off for work. Now the issue I was going to have was if I should tell Madison or not.

Part of me felt like I should, I really didn't want to lie to her. The other part of me knew that it would freak her out way more than it needed to. I was torn.

I had to admit it was really starting to freak me out too. It didn't seem like a huge deal at first, but after hearing what he'd done in the past and seeing him continue to show up out of nowhere, my concern was growing.

I really wanted to get someone else's opinion on if I should tell Madison or not, so I sent Trevor a quick text when I pulled up to work.

"Hey, quick question for you," I sent him.

Thankfully he responded quickly.

"Yeah what's up?"

"Fucking Kyle showed up when I was getting coffee this morning and is on me now, do I tell Mads?" I asked.

"That fucker, but damn that's a tough one," he responded.

I got out of my car and walked towards the office building as I continued to text him.

"I know, don't want to worry her more but kind of feel like I have to," I said.

"Yeah...agree, think you probably should," he sent back.

I was reading his text on my way in and almost ran into Madison.

"Mads! Hey, sorry," I quickly said.

"You look pretty concentrated there," she said, nodding towards my phone.

"Oh, yeah no, it's um, it's nothing, just reading something," I said as we got on to the elevator.

She nodded and thankfully dropped the subject as we rode up to our offices.

***

By the end of the day I had decided that I really did need to tell Madison what had happened, or at least that I had seen him.

We were walking out to our cars when I stopped her.

"Hey, I'm going to run home quick and grab a few things, but do you mind if I stay with you tonight?" I asked.

"Wow, usually I'm the one asking you to do that," Madison said.

"I know," I grinned.

"But yeah of course," she said, "I'll see you in a few minutes."

"Okay perfect," I said as I got into my car.

I was ready to get this over with.

————————————————