Prologue: It's Been Two Years

Kuai walked up to the woman at the bakery. She was old and looked very angry, but no one ever knew why. She was just cranky, all the time. Kuai hated that she couldn't do anything about it. Kuai instead decided just to by a small loaf and be on her way. Of course, the crowd was rushing and wild like it always is this time of day, because every store is open and everything is fresh. Kuai was calmly trying to find a cheap loaf that might last her a couple of days.

Kuai: Um, ma'am? How much does this small one cost?

The baker-lady looked at her with a smug face, then to the loaf, then back to Kuai. Kuai was being pushed around by some women trying to buy vegetables from the neighboring stand, but managed to stay on her feet and paying attention.

Baker: Four silver pieces.

Kuai: Oh...I only have three.

Baker: Then get a job and come back when you have one more!

Kuai: I'm not a citizen of Hira'a. No one wants to hire me!

Baker: That's your own fault! Don't come complaining to me! I work hard to make every one of these loaves!

Woman: Excuse me, miss. How much for this small loaf?

A woman from the crowd spoke up behind Kuai who still hadn't moved. She was pointing to the same loaf Kuai wanted. The baker smiled unkindly.

Baker: Two silver pieces.

Woman: Thank you very much!

The woman walked off with the half-price loaf and Kuai pouted. She hadn't eaten anything decent for three days, and has only drank the muddy water from the nearby lake. Now she was being cheated and humiliated by pretty much every single person in the town. She walked to the front steps of a general store and sat. The place wasn't very popular, so she probably wouldn't have to deal with many rude people. She sat there for maybe ten minutes when a little girl passed by. She recognized her. Maybe her name was Kiyi? Anyway, they waved to each other and another ten minutes went by in Kuai's lonely universe. Suddenly, a tall man  appeared in front of her.

Man: Excuse me, but I just found someone I was looking for, and I need to find someone else. Would you help me?

Kuai lifted her head and looked up at him, but couldn't see him because of the sun.

Man: May I sit?

Kuai: Sure I guess.

So the man sat on the step next to Kuai, not too close but not too far away. Now she could see his face, and she was speechless.

Man: I think I found her.

Kuai: F-firelord Z-zuko!

Zuko: Please, leave out the firelord title.

Kuai: W-why are you hear in Hira'a?

Zuko: Like you said, I'd go looking for someone, and I found her. Then you said I'd find you. And I did.

Kuai: Who did you go looking for?

Zuko: My mother, Noriko.

Kuai: SHE's your MOTHER?

Zuko: Actually, Ursa is her real name. She went to the Forgetful Valley years ago and changed her face, but she just changed it back.

Kuai: Oh...

Zuko: I heard you wanted to do the same.

Kuai: Oh, well...yeah. But I had reasons!

Zuko: Like what?