Chapter 12: I've Been Summoned

After breakfast, there were a lot of political matters that Zuko had to take care of. Kuai actually had no idea what she would do all day, and everyday for that matter. In between meals, Zuko was always approving construction, messaging world leaders, and making sure everything stayed in order. Kuai did nothing.

For about an hour, Kuai sat at the foot of their bed looking at pictures on the wall. Nice art pieces, probably not by Zuko, but they were beautiful depictions of nature. She got up and went to the small desk in the corner of the room, to find a portrait of Uncle Iroh (which she had soon started called him as well) and an old clay disc with a small hand print on it.

After that hour, she roamed the gardens and watched as the gardeners did their work. They would greet her extremely kindly when she would walk past, and to their surprise she acknowledged their existence as well. She spent a while looking at the rose bushes and dragon-peach trees. 

Soon she walked a path around the turtle-duck pond. She stopped and stared at it for a while, watching the ducklings swim around.

As she was doing this, a servant bowed before her and asked

Servant: My lady, pardon my intrusion, but I was wondering if you wanted some bread to feed the turtle ducks?

Kuai: Please stand. *the servant stood* I'm allowed to feed them?

Servant: Of course. Firelord Zuko does almost everyday. I stay out here in case one of you wants me to get bread for the turtle ducks.

Kuai: Oh, then please do. 

Kuai sat in front of the pond and continued watching them swim and play in the water. After five minutes, the servant returned.

Servant: My lady, I am sorry for my delay. The bread was still too hot from baking.

Kuai: No need to apologize. Please, sit.

The servant girl sat next to Kuai, confused and somewhat scared. They began feeding the turtle ducks together.

Kuai: What is your name?

Servant: Mine?

Kuai: Well I am talking to you, aren't I? *smiles*

Servant: Oh, yes, sorry. My name is Anju.

Kuai: That's a wonderful name. It seems Earth Kingdom.

Anju: Y-yes my lady, I was raised in the colonies...my family moved here six years ago.

Kuai: People always ask why I use Fire Nation customs when I'm water tribe. I guess it's because I prefer my life here to my life there.

Anju: You're from the Water Tribe?

Kuai: Yes, my blue eyes show it. I was kidnapped during the war, and haven't been back since.

Anju: I'm assuming Ozai...gave you that scar...

Kuai: Yes *looks at arms where the scar is* He did.

Anju: Oh, I'm so sorry, my lady, I meant no offense! Please forgive-

Kuai: I took no offense, Anju. I won't hurt you, I'm not like that.

Anju: I like having you here rather than Mai. She's bossy and scary.

Kuai: *giggles* Well I'm glad Zuko's not the only one who likes me here.

Anju: Can you waterbend?

Kuai: Yes, pretty well, actually. *takes pond water and floats it in different directions, splashes it on ground, raises it again and forms an ice sculpture of a turtle duck*