Chapter 13: Should I Be Honored?

Zuko had to walk away from Kuai and go to a separate room, where he usually replied to urgent messages. He read Sokka's letter and then angrily hit the table.

Zuko: This is what required my immediate attention?!

Man: We thought it was important information for you to know, your highness.

Zuko: Ugh, bring me my wife.

Man: Yes, Firelord.

With that the man, who I assume is one of the palace guards, left the room to get Kuai. After about five minutes of looking, he found her sitting on the floor of the throne room.

Man: My lady, Firelord Zuko requests your presence.

Kuai: Why?

Man: It's something about the letter. I'm sorry to rush, but it seems he's impatient this afternoon.

Kuai: Don't worry, I'm coming.

Kuai got up and walked with the man to Zuko's little office-like room, where Zuko was sitting in a big chair. The man let Kuai in, and then closed the door behind her, remaining at guard outside.

Kuai walked up to the desk and looked at Zuko.

Zuko: Lovely, come around here.

Kuai: Okay...

Kuai walked around the desk and next to Zuko. He put his arm around her waist and brought her to sit in his lap. He kissed her shoulder.

Zuko: I wouldn't want you being uncomfortable.

Kuai: Um...thanks...

Zuko: Stop acting like you have to abide by rules. If you wanted to, I would've been okay if you barged in while I was working.

Kuai: R-really?

Zuko: Yeah, you get to do whatever you want. *kisses her cheek*

Kuai: So why'd you call me in here?

Zuko: Maybe I just wanted to see you.

Kuai: That guard-dude said it was about Sokka's letter.

Zuko: Well...partially.

Kuai picked up the parchment and read what Sokka had written:

Hey Sir Firelord Guy, It's Team Avatar's leader! You should probably know that everyone will be on vacation in a few weeks, so we'll pop up at the palace to visit. Toph said she doesn't care about seeing you, she'd rather see Kuai and have another masters' battle...whatever that means. I thought we should probably tell you before accidentally intruding on your husband/wife business...anyway, see you then! Your friend, Sokka.

Kuai giggles at the last couple sentences.

Zuko: What?

Kuai: 'Husband/wife business.' Sokka's so weird.

Zuko: You're fine with them coming?

Kuai: Of course. How would I be able to stop them?

Zuko: True.

Zuko cupped Kuai's face and kissed her (note, she was still on his lap). She turned to where her legs were bent behind his back and he moved his arms around her waist, as she ran her fingers through his hair.

After a while, Zuko remembered he had work to do so he broke from the kiss.

Zuko: Lovely, I'm sorry, I've got to finish some things here.