Chapter 10: Help me

Everyone was going about their daily activities at midday. By midday, some were at work, some were at home, and some were just going about their daily business.

Lauren, who works from eight to eleven a.m. at a coffee shop, was on her way back from work.

After getting out of her car, she walked to the back seat to grab the items she had bought on her way home from a supermarket. After getting them, she kicked the door closed because her hands were full before locking the car.

She had to take the stairs because the elevators weren't working properly. When she got to her second-floor flat, she put the groceries on the ground at her door after a lengthy, anxious climb. John burst through the door of her flat and shut it immediately after she had opened it, scooped up the items and walked in.

John locked the door and attempted to keep her mouth shut, but she was so terrified that she screamed for aid.

John rushed over to her and placed his palm over her mouth,

She muttered, "Let me go," but John won't let her go. He took the revolver out and aimed it at her forehead as she struggled to break free from his hold, saying, "Now, calm down, you hear me? She nodded and raised both of her hands, quivering in fear as he added, "Calm down." He gazed at her after gradually releasing her.

She cautiously questioned, "Are you really the guy who killed the president?"

He yelled, "No," startling her. He then sighed and started to walk back and forth. He continued, "I'm sorry I yelled, but I've never hurt anyone, I can't," before setting down the gun and raising both of his hands. "Please you have to believe me."

A while later...

John sat on the couch, and Lauren stood near the wall with her arms folded.

"So what you're trying to say is you aren't the one who killed the president?" She inquired,

"I swear I'm not. How could I murder my closest friend?"

"I'm still not clear with this whole story," said Lauren.

"I know, the president was going to give me a key, a very important one and while we were together, one of his bodyguards served us and after he drank it, he died after a few minutes,"

"But I heard they found the poison wrapper in your suit pocket,"

"I swear, I don't know how it got in there,"

She sighed and looked away from him, then he stood to his feet and put his hands on her shoulders. "Listen, you have to believe me," He said, "Please just believe me, I'm not a murderer; if I were, I would have killed you and stayed here." he pleaded but she remained silent. He took the key out of his pocket and added, "The worst part is they aren't after me, they are after this. The President asked me not to trust anyone with this key no matter what,"

"John, I really want to believe you, but it's hard; you're wanted, and a lot of soldiers are looking for you; all the borders in America and Europe are closed as a result. I just can't handle the pressure. I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do to assist you. Please, I beg you, just leave. I promise I won't mention this to anyone but you have to leave, please," She said with her hands joined together and stress written on her face.

After a brief period of silence, John said, "Alright, but would it be okay if I waited till it's sunset? I wish to remain hidden from view."

After giving it some thinking, she replied, "Sure," He then turned to face the couch and took a seat.