the line between bitter and sweet [america x reader]

It was never really perfect when she was with her boyfriend.
Not once had they had a moment that was golden, there was always something off, something wrong.
Even so, when the time came to leave him, it was harder than she expected.
Despite the strange feelings she felt with him, a sense of loss washed over her as he stood to leave the cafe where the brunette had bid his goodbyes.
His parting words?
"This always felt strange to me. I know you think the same way. Be happy, [f/n]."

She smiled, bitterness seeping in slowly as she watched him leave.
It hadn't been perfect but it was something. Did she really want to let that go?
Too late, it was gone.

===

"[f/n]! How're ya holding up?"
The voice of her childhood friend of 10 years and next-door neighbour Alfred Jones bubbled through her cellphone a few days later.
"Not too well."
"I know what'll cheer ya up!"
"And what would that be?" She questioned, laughing a little.
The blonde's good mood was infectious as usual.
"Ice cream, duh!" He said like a valley girl, making you break out into a grin.
"Alright, you got me. When should we meet up?"
"Uh, well, I'm outside your house now. . ."
"What?!"
"Yeah, I was assuming you'd agree so. . ."
She peered out your window, since her bedroom faced the road and sure enough, the widely smiling American stood there, waving.
The [h/c] pulled on a pair of shorts in exchange for the sweatpants she had been wearing, and changed her oversized t-shirt with a nicer shirt that wouldn't make it look like she had just rolled out of bed, when in reality she had.

After letting her mom know where she was going and grabbing her wallet, heading out the door.
Alfred bounded over to her, slinging an arm over her shoulder.
"There you are, [f/n]!" 

"Hey, Alfred." It was impossible not to smile even a little when she was with him. 

"Alright, well let's go get some cavities, dude!" She laughed as the pair headed towards the local ice cream shop.

===

If she hadn't said it before, she'd say it now. God bless Alfred. 

The bubbly blonde was a pro at making her forget anything sad that had happened and was honestly the perfect distraction from all of the confusion she had been dealing with lately. 

All the way to the store, he had entertained you with stories from world meetings. By the time you got there, you were both crying with laughter.

"Wait so let me get this straight. . . Feliciano said what?" She gasped out between giggles. 

"PASTA~!" 

She was laughing even harder now at his unusually good impression of the happy-go-lucky Italian. 

"And then Ludwig basically flipped out. . . Ahahaha, good times!" Alfred joined in on her laughter as he swung open the door with a flourish and an easy grin. 

"After you, milady." She could only roll her eyes as walk up to the counter, placing her order for a cone of [flavour] ice cream. Just as she was about to pay, Alfred beat her to it, a cry of protest emanating from the girl. 

"Hey, don't worry about it."

Doesn't this make it like. . . a date or something?

Pushing the thought away, she thanked Alfred, waiting for the ice creams. As they both got their treats, finding a free table outside since the weather was nice, his expression changed ever so slightly. But she had known him for so long, she immediately questioned him.

"Anything wrong?" 

"No, it's fine! Don't you worry about me!" 

"Alfred, you've been so great today. Let me at least do something for you."

He laughed. "Aren't I great every day?" 

She rolled her eyes again. 

"Seriously though. What's the matter?" 

"You're not going to want to hear it." He said, looking down as his half-eaten cone. "Well, okay. If you insist. But it's about like. . . crushes and stuff." 

She giggled. The hero has a crush? Cute. 

"Thanks for worrying about me, but I'm totally okay with talking about your love life! Who's the girl?"

His face reddened, looking up bashfully, an emotion she hadn't seen displayed on his face since they were little. 

"Well she just went through a breakup, and I don't want to rush her." 

[f/n] nodded, knowing she wouldn't want someone asking her out soon either. 

"So, why don't you just let her you know you like her, but take it slow? Like, super slow? Just hang out, you know kind of like what we're doing now."

His face brightened, eyes regaining sparkle. 

"Well, here goes nothing." Upon hearing those words, it dawned on her. "[f/n], I really like you." She stared at him, before smiling a little.

"We'll take it slow, okay? My last relationship was weird. Bitter, even."

Alfred held up his ice cream cone with a cheesy smile.

"Maybe this one will be sweet." 

--

WOW FLUFF EVERYWHERe

hey guys can i ask you a favour

i have this story out "A Way To Say Goodbye" it's a switzyxreader but it's more than that tbh so 

if you could check it out???? that would be v helpful because i'm really excited about it

and if you've read it, then this fluff is for u because IT ONLY GETS MORE ANGSTY ;_;

anyways lysm readers

xx crescent