147 : Be a Unicorn, Always Be a Unicorn

"Where did that come from?" Asund asked, looping me into his grip and spinning me around once just as the dragons landed on the small courtyard outside of Korr's family's house.

"Stop, don't make a big deal out of it," I said, mortified. I did not want this to be a big deal. It didn't have to be a big deal.

It kind of was a big deal.

Asund smoothed both his big palms over my face, over my ears, along my hair and down my spine. "And you think you are not smart? Or don't have anything to say?"

"Well, obviously I had something to say," I muttered.

Asund kissed me gently, but slowly, his lips warm in the burning cold. I shivered. The words had just come out. I'd just... done it.

Asund released me and stepped away, re-composing himself into business as Ormiss swept off Korr and the two dragons shifted into human form. Fireflies and pollen hummed around Ethat. Ormiss crackled with lightening, and even Korr swirled with snow and frost. Itek clicked his beak.

Ormiss moved first, striding towards me with purpose. He tossed his staff away and it disappeared as it usually did, then he snared me from Asund. "Wicked unicorn," he growled to me, "and my aunt thinks you are not fit to be a queen."

"I'm not, really," I said, my voice shaking slightly.

"You are." He bent towards me, his garnet-and-obsidian eyes smoldering and snaking with flecks of violet.

"Can we talk about this later?" I whispered. "Please?"

Korr slid behind me and kissed the back of my neck, then bit my skin gently while inhaling. "Fierce unicorn. You've always been so clever."

"I haven't been, really," I pleaded.

"When you want to be, you are."

"Saa, saa," Itek pried both of them off me while Ethat made nervous chirping noises. "Let her gather herself."

"Gather herself from what?" Ormiss demanded.

"That she still is a very clever unicorn," Itek gathered me against him and drew me away from the others. "I imagine after a lifetime of telling yourself you're not very clever and know nothing, it's unsettling to find out you know quite a bit, it's just been beyond your reach until recently."

I sighed with relief.

"She's still our Theia," Itek said to them. "And she still needs us to protect her. Give her a little time to sort herself. And I suggest we leave. We clearly are not welcome here."

"I don't know," Asund commented dryly. "The dragons seem entertained with the novelty of a new, wet hole."

Korr raised a brow. Itek snerked.

Ethat sighed and wrung his hands. "They are."

"That's not... nevermind," Korr sighed at his brother, who suddenly blushed with realization at Asund's metaphor.

Itek stayed focused on me. "Good. Then we can leave without them noticing. We will go meet my family. And I assure you, they will not be the collective assholes dragons are."

"And if they are?" Asund asked.

"Then you can wring their necks. Such as it is with gryphons. Just... don't be surprised at some of the antics you see. And we will have to make it clear we do not play outside our own family. Or you will be invited. All of you. Especially Ormiss."

Ormiss gave Itek a look of total affront. "I what? I have never been a flirt."

He swung his look at Korr.