Chapter 11

Author's POV:

There hasn't been any new findings the past few days, regarding Dr. Jeon's surroundings or the investigation. Although they can't say anything about Dr. Jeon's threat letter because it's possible that the remaining family members have a grudge. Sodam, "Seokjin-ssi, may I ask you for a favor?"

Seokjin, "Yes."

"Can you return this to the Archives?" Sodam hands a D-ring file to Jin. Archives. This might be perfect.

"I'll be back."

"Thank you." Since yesterday, Sodam's been scouring through the corporate servers of major construction companies. Sodam doesn't show his fatigue but Seokjin've been wanting to help him in any way possible.

It was 6 years ago that Dake's beta father committed suicide. From that tone, it was possible that it wasn't a suicide. Seokjin look for investigative materials relating to Seon Sangho's death from 6 years ago. "Found it..." It's the same as the initial investigative material he saw when President Seon's body was found. He attempted suicide by drowning in the Seoul Bay, and it was immediately followed by an administrative autopsy. Dr. Jeon's name is listed as the doctor handling the autopsy. Huh...? Just this...? That's all he can find. Dake and Dr. Jeon both said that Seon Sangho had a 'judicial autopsy'. But it's only listed here as an administrative autopsy. It's missing.
*thump*
Jin's heart makes an ominous beating. What does this mean...? Seokjin place the document back where he found it and exit the room.

Seokjin wonder if it's related to the case from 6 years ago. There's nothing to prove it but he can't help but think that. Seokjin, "?" Did something just. Seokjin feel someone's gaze and quickly turn around but there's no one there.

Seokjin head to the university in the morning and find Dr. Jaejoong looking glum in the hallway. "Wh-What's wrong, Dr. Jaejoong...?"

Jaejoong, "Oh... Mornin' Seokjin-ssi."

"Good morning."

"Dr. Jeon's not back yet..." He's lacking his usual spirit.

"Umm... Where is he?"

"At the bath. With Taehyung-ssi."

"Bath?"

"Yeah. You know, with our kind of work... Deteriorated bodies smell pretty intense too, so we have a decent bath facility."

"It really is a tough job you guys have..."

Jaejoong sighsss.

"Umm... And what's wrong?" Dr. Jaejoong lets out a huge sigh and looks very tired.

"Dealing with the family members just took a long time. I was just thinking about how I can't do it like Dr. Jeon."

"What do you..."

"Face the body straight on so I don't miss anything, until the end... That's my responsibility because I hurt the body with my own hands. That's what Dr. Jeon always says. That's what I think I am doing too, but I can't convey it all to the family members." Jaejoong who's usually so bright and happy seems so depressed. Face the body straight on so I don't miss anything, until the end. Seokjin probably can't even imagine how difficult it is to actually do that. Some families don't agree with judicial autopsies, and there are times when they still don't agree to it, however many times it's explained.

"But that's... It can't be helped if it's right after their family member passed away."

"Yeah. I know that but, you know... I just get depressed when they throw all their negative feelings towards me... I think Dr. Jeon should be more open about showing his emotions."

"Huh...?"

"Even though he's like that, I am sure he's hurt. There aren't any medical examiners who are nice like him." Nice...? Jaejoong laughs, "You look like you can't believe it."

"H-How is he nice? I would love to hear about it for future reference." Seokjin say so with a joking tone and Dr. Jaejoong smiles like usual.

"Hmm... Seokjin-ssi, I'm sure you know because you are a detective, but if the timing's off or if it's not arranged, the body's handed over to the family after a judicial autopsy, naked in a body bag."

"Yes..."

"And if the body is of a young beta or omega or a small pup, the parents are especially... You know. Most times the undertaker covers up for us pretty well. But however much we're pressed on time, Dr. Jeon always dresses all the bodies he handles with a hanbok. Maybe that's something that should always be done, but sometimes even that is hard for us to do. There are lots of medical examiners who can't do it, even if they want to."

"..." President Seon was also wearing a hanbok. So that was Dr. Jeon's consideration. A numb pain rushes through his head when he think that.

"Alright, I'm fine now. Thanks Seokjin-ssi."

"Huh...? I didn't do anything."

"You know the situation that I'm usually in, right? I have no one to vent to."

"Oh... Anytime!"

"You should go wait in the lab. I have a meeting to go to."

"Okay. Thanks."

"See ya." Medical Examiner's get more worn out than he had imagined.

Seokjin go back to the lab after his lunch break when Taehyung welcomes him with a wry smile. Taehyung, "..."

"..." A silent Jungkook's asleep.

"I'll leave here to you."

Seokjin, "Yes..." Taehyung leaves the lab quietly, without making a sound. Dr. Jeon's nice, huh...?

Seokjin slowly walk towards the desk

Seokjin slowly walk towards the desk. It looks as if Dr. Jeon had his elbow propped up, thinking of something. And then his eyes just closed. Jungkook sleeps peacefully, without noticing Jin's gaze. He would never be so defenseless like this. He must be tired to his limits. When Seokjin think back, Jungkook's had inspections, autopsies, reports, day after day. And he leaves work every day after midnight. Jungkook had one day off, but Seokjin think he was called in during the night. This is no surprise when Seokjin think back on Jungkook's schedule from when they began escorting him. He even sleeps beautifully. His slightly long bangs cover his eyes and he has light circles under his eyes. His hands are a alpha's but his slender fingers look even alluring. But still somewhat receptive. When he think of how these hands listen to peoples' last words, they start to feel sacred.

[A/N: Bonus ♡]