eleven

.

  harry

.

  "Mia, you've got to get back on the bus." I grumbled to the drunk girl in front of me. I was standing at the bottom of the bus steps with Mia in my arms. She had an iron grip on the doorway, making it impossible for us to get in. 

  "Take me back to the party!" Mia shouted. "I won't let go!" 

  "Mia, please." I begged her. "We're going to cause a scene. Please get in the bus." 

  "No." She said stubbornly. "He was making me another strawberry drink! Do you realize that you messed up my chances with him?"

  I glanced around to make sure that nobody was near. It was pitch black and the music from inside the party was still so loud that it shook the ground under my feet. The air was a bit nippy and there were mosquitoes swarming the light coming from the bus, but Mia still refused to go inside. 

  She was extremely intoxicated and didn't know what she was saying and all I wanted was to tell her what really was going on at the party and for her to not be upset at me. I knew if I had told her the truth it would break her heart, so I kept my mouth shut for now. Just do it Harry, you're going to have to tell her sometime. 

  "You don't want to be with a guy like him." I said calmly. 

  "Yes, I do." Mia slurred. "He told me he would take care of me." Just hearing her say that made me physically cringe- poor Mia thought that this man would protect her and treat her kindly, but I knew exactly what he meant when he told her he would take care of her and it was sickening. 

  "Not in the way you would have wanted him to, trust me." I sighed, running my fingers through my hair in frustration as Mia sat down on the bus stairs. I was afraid that someone from the party would come over to us, or worse- David. 

  "You don't know that." Mia challenged. "You don't know anything!" 

  "Please." I tried again. "Just get in the bus." 

  "No." Mia laughed. "I don't think I will!" 

  "For the love of God, get in that bus." 

  "I won't, because you ruined everything with David!"

  "Goddammit, Mia!" I shouted. "I watched him grab a pill and dump it into your drink when you weren't looking! He got you drunk, then he was going to drug you, then he was going to take advantage of you and leave you!"

  The air was completely silent. I bit my lip, instantly feeling extremely guilty for what I said to Mia. Her face paled and she looked at me for a few brief moments, the tears building up in her eyes. It killed me to see her so worked up, but she deserved to know the truth. I just felt so bad about it all that I wished I wouldn't have said anything in the first place, but then again, I knew that it had to be told to her at some point.

  "W-what?" Mia whispered. "He was going to drug me?" 

  "I was in the bathroom." I said in a quieter voice. "I saw you two making out on his bed and watched him grab the pill when you were gone. I followed him downstairs and watched him pour it into your drink, Mia. The date rape drug. He was going to rape you." 

  Mia's shoulders dropped instantly. The pained look on her face was absolutely heartbreaking. I felt so bad about all of it- if I hadn't taken her to the shitty party and taken the stupid phone call, none of it would have happened in the first place. I felt like I was the one to blame because I felt like it was my duty to keep her safe.