eighteen

.

mia

.

  The next time I woke up, it was still dark outside.

  My heart was pounding in my chest and my palms were sweating. Whatever dream I had just woken up from wasn't a good one, but even though I tried as hard as I could to remember it, I couldn't. 

  I rubbed my eyes and slowly sat up in the bed. Harry wasn't sleeping next to me like I'd imagined, instead, he was sitting at the foot of the bed watching some television. He had the volume turned down so low that I could barely hear it. 

  I slid out of bed to go pee before my bladder burst, causing Harry to turn his attention onto me instead of the television.

  "I'm so sorry, did I wake you?" He asked. 

  "No, you're okay." I shook my head. "Bad dream. Gotta pee."

  "Ah." Harry chuckled. I walked past him into the bathroom and did my business. The clock on the wall said that it was almost four in the morning, which made me wonder why Harry was awake and watching the television.

  I sneaked back into the bedroom and crawled back into bed. Harry was now back by where he was supposed to be sleeping, although he was still awake. I pulled the covers up to my chin and tried to close my eyes to fall back asleep.

  "I, uh, found out that my friend Will knows your ex-fiance." Harry said. "I just got off the phone with him."

  "Wait, what?" I turned so that I was facing him and he was facing me. 

  "He confessed that he knew who I was and he was good friends with Matthew, so he got your new number from your phone while you weren't looking and texted him your new number. Matthew was never at the club." 

  "Oh my.." I couldn't even finish my thought. 

  "Small world, right?" Harry laughed dryly. "I told him not to contact me anymore." 

  "I can't believe that." I whispered. "What are the odds that someone you know knows Matthew? That's so crazy." 

  "You can imagine my reaction." He sounded bitter. "And I was telling him of our plans to go to Air & Space earlier and I'm sure he told Matthew about it as well." My shoulders sunk. "I'm really sorry, Mia. I couldn't of known."

  "No, it's okay." I tried to sound enthusiastic. "We can just find something else to do." 

  "I'm going to make it up to you." Harry promised. "Once we go to Texas. But it's a surprise for right now." 

  I tried to think of all the things that were in Texas that he could possibly be taking me to, but came up with nothing. Living in Pennsylvania all my life, I barely knew a thing about Texas, other than the fact that it was massive. I smiled.

  "And I have an idea for tomorrow- I mean, today." I grinned. "We're going to the Washington Zoo. And we are going to visit the reptiles. Which means snakes. Which means getting over your fear of snakes, Mr. Indiana Jones."

  "Fine." Harry grumbled. "But only because I feel bad."

  I smiled again, closing my sleepy eyes. We laid in silence for a while as I became slightly clouded with sleep. Harry had done so many things for my that I'll never be able to repay him for, but I was so grateful. I owed so much to Harry, so much that I'll never be able to give back.

  "Hey, you." Harry chuckled. "C'mere, I wanna cuddle."

  I was thankful that he couldn't see me blush. I crawled over and laid in his open arms as he wrapped them around me. It was weird that we were doing this, but in the moment it felt completely natural and neither one of us questioned it. We were both exhausted and all we had was each other in this moment.