forty two

An entire month went by.

  During that month, Harry and I had flown back to Philadelphia numerous times. We could have just stayed in the city, but he and I both didn't like being so close to my family and we wanted to spend time in London. London had quickly become a home to me. It was much more welcoming than Philadelphia. 

  "Babe, I've got your bag," Harry called out as we stepped off the private jet. "We're home!"

  "Thank the Lord," I groaned. "I missed this place." 

  We had been out of London for a whole week. During that week, the court met three times. We had to attend every single time, and every single time we avoided my family like the plague. Even though they shared the same room as us for the hour or two that we were in the courthouse, we acted as if they weren't even there. They were dead to me. 

  "My family should be arriving not long after we do," Harry said, glancing down at the watch on his wrist. "The timing isn't the greatest, but my mum is bringing all the food so we don't have to prepare anything. She just asked me if we could heat everything up at the house."

  "I'm nervous," I admitted. "I guess it helps that I've met Gemma before."

  "And she adores you, by the way. She talks about how cute you are nearly every time I ring her."

  I beamed at his words. It meant a lot to me that Gemma thought so fondly of me. I knew that family was important to Harry, so having their blessing and approval was crucial. It added more pressure to meeting his mother, Anne, and his stepdad, Robin. They still hadn't met me, but they had heard a lot about me. My only fear was that they would have preconceived opinions of me from all the complications I brought to Harry's life. 

  "Has your mom said anything about me?" 

  "She's excited to meet you, I think. She asked me about five times if you had any food allergies when she was preparing us the meal. Cooking is her forte, if you haven't noticed." I smiled at how fondly he spoke of his mother. 

  "But what about this thing with my family? She has to have some sort of opinion on that. She must think I'm crazy."

  Harry glanced over at me, sensing my worry. "Babe, if anything mum asks me about how you're doing. She thinks of you like you're her own. There isn't anything to be nervous about, promise."

  His words put me at ease immediately. He moved his hand from the middle compartment of the car and rested it gently on my thigh, the thigh that wasn't being occupied by a very fat cat. I laid my hand on top of his as the car went around a bend. We were nearing the edge of London, where his home was. It was a secluded and quiet part of the city. That's why Harry liked it so much. 

  "I love you." I said. 

  "And I love you," he said sincerely. "Just as my family will."

  We buzzed at the gate and rolled up the driveway. Harry left the Range Rover to sit on the pavement instead of pulling it in the garage. As soon as I opened the passenger door, Cat was bounding out of the car and running as quickly as she could toward the flower garden. Whenever we spent time in London, her favorite spot to be was in Harry's garden. It was one of the reasons why so many of the flowers were dug up or shredded. 

  "C'mon, Cat, inside now." Harry commanded. He scooped her up with one hand and pulled along his luggage with the other. I picked up my duffel and followed him into the house. 

  "Feels like it's been ages," Harry sighed. "I could go for a nap right about now."

  "I should shower off before your family comes," I said, glancing at the clock in the kitchen. "You should take your nap while I shower and then help me pick out an outfit."