forty three

Harry and I immediately had to fly back to Philadelphia after being in London for a total of four hours. 

  Anne offered to come with us on our trip, but Harry told her that she really didn't need to. She must've sensed our nerves and shock that there was a verdict this quickly. Things had seemed like they were in our favor when we left the U.S and we could only hope that they had stayed that way. The court was meeting the next morning at nine. 

  Gemma was going to house sit for us. It wasn't right for us to force Cat back onto a plane and then leave her in an empty house while we went to court. Besides, her and Olivia seemed to greatly enjoy each other's company and it felt wrong to have to separate them. She wished us well and reassured us that everything was going to work itself out. 

  Harry, whose demeanor had become very serious, got us a private plane. We didn't have to pack up our belongings because they were still sitting in suitcases. He held my hand protectively and kept me close as people took pictures and rushed up to us at the airport. 

  "I'm very sorry, but we have to catch a plane quickly," He apologized to the fans asking for pictures. They seemed disappointed but understanding. All of them had most likely seen the pictures of us having to travel back and forth to meet with the court and they were respectful about us being in a hurry. 

  We got on the plane and sat down beside each other. Harry never let go of my hand the entire time. I turned to him and he ran a hand through my hair. We were both nervous. Neither of us had expected our homecoming to be such a shortlived trip. 

  "Our attorney has complete faith that this was a good sign," he comforted me. 

  "But it's still impossible to not be nervous," I said meekly. 

  "I want to warn you," he spoke gently. "--that this might very well explode in the media. But hear me out, Mia, people are on our side. I haven't spoken to a single person that wasn't." 

  "That's inevitable," I agreed. "I knew that would be coming." 

  "You saw what the fans at the airport were like. They're supportive of us, of you. Your family, Matthew and his family... they were once powerful. They don't have any of that power anymore, and they especially don't have power over us." 

  I nodded. He reclined his seat and cuddled against me as I stared out the window. The sun had set long ago. It was nearly two in the morning. By the time we got off the plane and settled back into the Air B&B, it would be time to leave for the courthouse. This time was crucial for us to get some rest. 

  "Can you believe this is our last trip to Philadelphia?" I asked. 

  "We haven't exactly had much time to think about it. It'll be nice to come home tomorrow night and disappear for a while, don't you think? We can stay in London for as long as we want."

  "I thought you wanted to stay in LA, since the weather is so much better there?" I teased. 

  "But London is home," he admitted. "and Los Angeles is busy. I'm sort of ready to unwind a bit and take it easy for a while." 

  "It's a good idea. You know, before the movie comes out and all." I added. 

  "That too," he said, burrowing his face into my shoulder. "Right now I just want to be here with you. Life seems to be too busy lately."

  "You've got me, H," I reminded him. "Don't think about the movie and the album release just yet, okay? The trial is what's in front of us right now, so that's what we should focus on. Life isn't too busy unless you make it that way.