second chapter

AS SOON as Nesta got home, she went straight to her room

AS SOON as Nesta got home, she went straight to her room. Anxiety took over her, and she felt so heavy due to the pressure of being in charge of someone's life.

She had a lot to think about with that project. The first was to get Treech to perform, the second was to make the Capitol like him, and the third and most important was to keep him alive and safe. But the problem was, what if he didn't trust her? What if he didn't want to work with her?

A soft knock on the door was heard by Nesta, and when she turned her head, her father was already walking through the door before she had even responded, which was unusual of him.

The eldest approached the bed on which his daughter was sitting and imitated her action by sitting on the edge. "Honey, I'm calling you in half an hour." The man spoke with a worried expression. "Are you like this because of the reaping?" He asked, restless and with sad eyes.

Half an hour? She was really lost in her thoughts.

Nesta looked at her father with the same sad eyes he had. "I do not know what to do." She said it almost in a whisper. "His life is in my hands; how can I save him? What if he doesn't trust me? What if he thinks I'm just like the bad people at the Capitol?" The girl asked with a voice so agitated and sad it was almost unrecognizable; she expected her father to give her the answers.

The man took his daughter's hand and stood in a comforting manner as he tried to find the right words to comfort her. "You need to be calm with him. He's probably scared and angry about being chosen for this." He sighed, and the girl looked at him, waiting for him to continue what he had to say. "Look, why don't you go see him at the train station tomorrow? Try to meet him and talk to him."

"What about the classes?"

"I'll take care of it."

Nesta sighed, still nervous, and offered her father a hug. "Thanks Dad." The man smiled at her and left a kiss on her head. "You're welcome; I hope you give the Capitol scum a lot of trouble." He responded as a way to lighten the atmosphere, and the younger girl offered him a knowing smile. No one hated the Capitol more than him.

As soon as the older man left Nesta's room, he headed to his office and burst into tears. He had always tried to keep his daughter away from the games and evil minds of the Capitol, but now he felt useless and completely stunned. His daughter would be forced to watch the games, and worse, she would have someone else's life in her hands.

The door was quickly opened by the other woman in the house, who looked at him with a knowing and sad look. "Oh dear." She whispered with tears in her eyes. "I didn't protect her; she is in the hands of the Capitol." He cried more, and the beautiful woman surrounded him with her slender arms. "It's okay, love; everything is going to be okay." And when she said that, the crying intensified.

Little by little, the crying turned into sobs, and the man's breathing returned to normal. "I'm going to make you some tea in the kitchen; you're going to take a shower and then come down, ok?" She said it in a soft tone, and he nodded as he watched her head towards the door.