thirteenth chapter

NESTA WOKE UP earlier than usual, nervous about today's events but also a little happy about yesterday's events

Nesta was already dressed and as tidy as her nervousness allowed her. At this moment, she was drinking tea on the island in the kitchen because it was the only thing she knew that her stomach wouldn't refuse; she felt that she could vomit at any moment.

The only thing that was on her mind was Treech, and even though he gave her comfort, at this moment he left her suffocating with guilt and worry. In a few hours, his life could depend on her, and that wasn't a very comfortable thing.

The two had talked about various strategies in the previous days, sharing a small notebook and writing together the plans for the games. They not only thought about Treech but also thought about the pack; after all, they were the ones who were going to be next to him in the arena, and it was obvious that if something went wrong, Coral wouldn't hesitate to get rid of the mess.

But Treech would separate himself from the pack the moment something went wrong; he was smart and Nesta knew it.

Everything was going to be fine. She tried to convince herself.

"Nesta honey, what are you doing up so early?" A gentle voice interrupted the youngest girl's thoughts, while thin, soft fingers stroked her hair. "Hi mom, I just couldn't sleep." She replied, and the woman gave a small smile.

The woman knew that it was only half true and that her daughter was nervous; she also knew that Nesta had gotten attached to the boy from the districts, which had already happened to her a few years ago, and she could laugh if the situations were better; it felt like she was talking to a younger version of herself.

She continued to stroke her daughter's hair. "Well, honey, if it's any consolation to you, Treech will have many sponsors." She spoke, and the girl looked at her mother with a confused frown as she received a wink and a smile in return. "Your father donated a lot of money to your boy; in fact, he donated money for all the tributes, but he gave the largest amount to Treech." The oldest said, clearing the doubts of the girl, who was now looking at her with wide eyes. However,  deep down, she wasn't surprised; her father had always been kind, and now that he had the chance to help the people of the districts during the games, it was obvious that he would do.

"Well, now I want to know why you arrived yesterday with a smile on your face and your head in the clouds." Nesta straightened her back at her mother's curiosity, who smiled when she saw the youngest's reaction. "I don't know what you're talking about." She murmured, causing an amused laugh from the woman; it seemed like she had gone back 30 years.

"If you say so..." The mother hummed, and the girl's cheeks turned red.

Nesta quickly got up, agitated and embarrassed, as she thought about yesterday's events, and when the kiss replayed in her head, she shook her head, trying to get rid of the thoughts. "I'm going look for dad; I'll be right back!" She ran out of the kitchen, not even giving the woman a chance to respond.