twenty-second chapter

NESTA DECIDED TO STEP away a little bit from the mother-and-son duo to give them space; she knew it shouldn't have been easy with the feeling of uncertainty that the woman had had in the last few weeks, and she didn't want to bother them

The vision she had was simply lovely. Lilian smiled widely at Treech, wrapping one of her arms around the tall figure of the boy who kept his head low towards his mother due to the height difference, and an almost imperceptible smile was visible on his face, prompting Nesta to smile as well.

She had managed to take him home and that filled her with joy.

However, Nesta was concerned; Treech's breakdown on the train was not pretty, and despite his smile, she could tell he was nervous; it was almost as if he was afraid of something, as if he was afraid to face the rest of his family.

She didn't blame him sincerely; according to what the boy told her, his father was a serious man who prioritized the safety of his family, and while she was almost certain that the man's reaction would be relieving when she saw that her beloved son had returned home, she couldn't deny that Treech's fear was valid; she also would be scared in his shoes, even terrified.

"Ness." Treech's dense voice took the girl out of her thoughts, leading her to give a surprised jump as he let out a nasal laugh. Lilian smiled as he looked between the two. "Come here, we're almost here." He summoned her with his hand on her edge, and Nesta realized he wanted her company to feel less nervous, so she went towards him.

When she reached the pair's foot, Nesta felt his hand intertwine with her in a nervous way, so nervous that she didn't notice the sweaty palm, and when she looked at him, she noticed his agitated expression and his upright and uncomfortable posture; the games had completely destroyed his confidence.

He would never be the same again.

The rest of the walk was short, and when they least expected it, they were already in front of a wooden chalet, and by Treech's posture, Nesta, it was realized that this chalet was his home.

"I'll go in there and let the rest know you're here. I'll call you dear." The older woman spoke, giving a shake on the shoulder of the boy, who seemed to tremble with the touch, and when the woman closed in on the small chalet, he had to lean on the girl, who looked at him concerned.

"Treech?" The girl called him, but he seemed to be in a daze as he peered about the canopy, almost as if he didn't believed he was there. "Treech?" She beckoned him again, this time placing a hand on his arm, and he stared at her with hurt and nervousness. "What's going on?" She asked, evidently knowing the response she was going to receive.

Treech let out a sigh, controlling the tears that threatened to come out. "I am afraid." He admitted it with a low voice, moving closer to her, looking for some kind of comfort. "What if they don't accept me? I wouldn't accept myself after everything I've done." His voice seemed to break with the confession he made, and with them, and so did Nesta's heart.