third chapter

THE SCENARIO in which the two academy students found themselves at this moment was not the best at all; they were in a cramped metal space, it smelled very bad, and to make matters worse, angry eyes were looking in their direction

Nesta hugged the bag in her arms and looked at a fixed point on the ground, seeking protection from the furious gazes.

Although the tributes were furious with the presence of the two students on the train, most of the hatred seems to belong to the blonde boy, who, although scared, maintained a smug and falsely calm posture.

The silence inside the carriage was uncomfortable; the only thing audible was the cough of the female tribute from district 11, who appeared to be immensely ill.

Reaper, Clemensia's tribute, was the one who seemed to be most angry with the unexpected appearance. He kept his arm resting on the bars of the ceiling and looked directly at Corialanus Snow, who became increasingly intimidated by the strong boy's penetrating gaze.

"Hi." said the Snow boy in a failed attempt to lighten the small atmosphere.

Reaper seemed to get even angrier when the other boy opened his mouth. "What's the matter, Pretty Boy? Got in the wrong cage?" He asked in an ironic tone. Nesta decided to look up at the district 11 tribute, but instead she met Treech's gaze, who, upon realizing that she was looking at him, gave her a sarcastic smile. Nesta turned back, staring at the ground with red cheeks, and Treech smiled even more at that.

Coriolanus straightened his back. "Not at all. This cage is delightful." He responded with a forced tone of confidence, and the girl next to him furrowed her eyebrows in disbelief. Either he was very stupid or he was extremely brave.

The responses did not satisfy the remaining tributes either. The District 8 tribute yelled, "Get him, Reaper." Reaper shoved Treech aside and walked up to the Capital boy, grabbing his shirt hard.

"I'm going to kill you right now." The boy replied in a voice that was quiet yet menacing. Nesta straightened her back and widened her eyes in horror; he was joking right?

"He will do it." A scratchy voice answered as though it were responding to Nesta's query. "He killed a peacekeeper in 11; they never found out how it happened." The girl from the Capital clung even more tightly to her bag in terror, and Corionalus, 'stuck' as he was, put out a shielding arm in front of her. Treech wrinkled his brows, perplexed; were they in a relationship? What a horrible taste! She could do better.

"Quiet Dill." Reaper chastises his district associate. Nesta looked up again, and because of Snow's action and her proximity to the sick girl, everyone was staring at her this time.

"Look, it looks like we have a treasure from the Capitol here." Tanner, the tribute from district 10, said as he headed towards the girl with a look of anger and amusement. "What's wrong, Treasure? Don't you know how to speak?" The girl leaned back in fear and discomfort at the sudden approach, and when she was about to speak, Treech had already stepped between the two. "Stay away. She may be from the Capital, but that doesn't give you the right to intimidate her." A hypocrite, he was happy with the negative attention Corionalus was receiving.