twenty-first chapter

NESTA AND TREECH were already ready to leave towards the station and district 7

NESTA AND TREECH were already ready to leave towards the station and district 7. The only person missing was the girl's father, who had woken up late and was almost late.

The two were in the living room. Nesta had her head on the boy's shoulder, who was stroking her hair as she was nervous about the change she was about to make.

"You don't need to be nervous." Treech said, but even though he was nervous, he was afraid that his family wouldn't take him back.

The girl sighed, lifting her head and looking toward his hazel eyes. "What if they didn't like me? I mean, I'm from the Capitol." She questioned herself while clenching her fingers in nervousness.

"This is impossible." Treech spoke in a soft voice as he placed a kiss on the top of the girl's head and took her hands in his, she looked at him confused. "It's impossible for someone to not like you." The boy spoke with so much sincerity that Ness felt unable to contradict him.

"Ness, Treech, come here!" The older woman's voice called them with a scream, and the two teenagers headed towards the kitchen, worried.

As soon as they arrived in the kitchen, they met the girl's mother, who looked at them with a huge smile on her face while putting some things in a bag, which was huge.

"I'm glad you're here!" The woman said she was smiling while calling them with her hand to come closer. "I made sweets for the journey!" She pointed to the sweets in the suitcase, proud of what she had done.

Treech let out a nasal laugh at the size of the suitcase, and the girl next to him elbowed him in the ribs. "Thanks mom, Treech and I are very grateful!" She spoke and stepped on the boy's foot, who was trying hard not to laugh.

He didn't want to make a bad impression, but seeing the size of the bag was giving him a kind of funny deja vu.

"You're welcome, honey. Have you spoken to your friends yet?" The woman asked while putting some bottles of water in the bag, which looked like it was going to burst; it was so full. "Yes, I called you yesterday afternoon." Ness cleared the older woman's doubts.

Which was true; yesterday she had called her closest friends, explaining her situation. Lysistrata, as always, maintained as much composure as she could, but at the end of the call, she left a little of her emotional side out. Persephone, on the other end, cried almost the entire call. Luckily,  Festus was there to try to calm her down, which was in vain, as the girl only calmed down when Nesta said she would visit her.

Sejanus was the call that lasted the longest. Despite the recent friendship, Nesta had become too attached to the boy, and this meant that they spent at least two hours on the phone, which Treech didn't find funny at all. But the girl was happy to know that her friend was going to follow his dream of being a doctor in the districts, and Sejanus was equally happy for her.

The truth was that Nesta, despite being excited about the life she enjoyed, was going to miss the people around her. Even if it wasn't a goodbye, it still hurt, but she knew she was going to be fine; she had what mattered most next to her, Treech.