sixteenth chapter

AS SOON AS NESTA got into the van, her nervousness consumed her, and she immediately regretted it

However, the path was silent, Coriolanus was keeping an eye on the outside of the window while mentally cursing Sejanus, and Nesta was chewing the corners of his nails while thinking about Sejanus with some concern. What was he thinking?

Had Sejanus even thought about the consequences of his actions? Nesta was seriously starting to doubt that.

But even though she was nervous, Nesta was the first to get out of the car, heading towards the arena gates, anxiously waiting for a peacekeeper to open them and for Coriolanus to arrive at her side. She would never admit it, but she was afraid of going in without Snow, or more specifically, going in there alone. He wasn't at all pleasant company, but unfortunately, he was the only one she had, and Nesta had to be content with him.

And when the blonde boy arrived next to her, the girl almost let out a relieved sigh, but she didn't, not when Snow was looking at her with such a judgmental look. "Are you in your pajamas?" He asked as he wrinkled his nose in an unpleasant manner, and Nesta had to hold back from kicking him. "You're the one who pulled me here, so technically, it's entirely your fault." She replied in a loud whisper, and the boy just wrinkled his nose even more.

Coriolanus felt offended and was about to retaliate against his colleague, but was stopped when the heavy footsteps of the peacekeepers were heard next to him.

"Miss Dante, if you want, you can go back to the van; I'm sure your friend can get in alone." said one of the peacekeepers, and Ness couldn't lie. She certainly thought about accepting this tempting proposal and just nodded. It was Sejanus who was in there; she couldn't leave him hanging; she didn't want to leave him in Snow's hands.

Beside her, Coriolanus seemed extremely offended by the fact that the peacekeeper had addressed the girl with such formality and respect and had completely ignored his existence. Her grandfather could have been a general, but he passed his position to Coriolanus's father, not Nesta's father, so why did they treat her so well if her father was so incompetent to the point of losing a position that had been passed down from generation to generation?

He was the only one who deserved this treatment.

"Coriolanus!" Nesta's voice brought him out of his thoughts, and he looked at her in question. "Let's go in!" The girl said this as she looked towards the gates.

"What if the tributes attack us?" He asked to no one in particular, and Nesta looked to the peacekeepers for an answer. "We have the situation under control; you can go calmly." One of them replied with a firm voice, and the two teenagers looked at each other uncertainly.

"What if..." Coriolanus continued, and the previous peacekeeper gave an impatient sigh. "I told you, everything is under control." And that made the boy shut up, and Nesta hide a smile.