Chapter 13: Come Back to Me

SAND

Pretending I wasn't bothered about what happened tonight was very hard but I stopped myself from asking Ayan to explain or begging him not to leave me now that Akk is back. I know overwhelming Aye will only worsen the situation. So even as my tears fall as I made us a simple dinner I have no plans at all to confront Aye.

Flashbacks of the endless fights with Boeing after I found him in Top's arms made me more determined not to make the same mistakes again. Nagging or yelling doesn't change anything, instead it just makes both of you exhausted, angrier and more pained. More importantly, I know I survived letting Boeing go, but I don't ever wanna think about letting Ayan go. No way.

Aye came down just as I was already plating the food. He was subdued and I could tell he cried when I left. It hurt to know that his ex still had this much power over him but then I knew this right from the start. Ayan had never lied to me. All I could hope for now is that he would choose me.

We were still quiet as we ate and I tried my best not to let my inner turmoil show, coaxing Aye to eat and letting him feel that I wasn't going to hurt him like Akk did. Never. Aye can hurt me if he chose to go back to him but I would never leave unless he tells me this is what he truly wanted.

KHAN

"You did what?!" Wat yelled, looking at Akk who flinched visibly. Wat is not the yeller in our group- I was. So Wat having yelled now, meant Akk did something over the top.

"And you!" Wat said, pointing to Namo. "We took you to hang out with Aye because we trusted you! Ayan said he wasn't ready to see Akk! Why did you tell him!?"

"You went to Ayan?" I Joined the conversation as Thua immediately went out probably to call Aye.

"I did. You all didn't tell me he has a boyfriend," Akk sounded dejected. "And that he looks exactly like me!" He continued now staring at my face openly.

"Because we thought you'd at least respect Aye's wishes not to see you yet Akk! You said you were sorry for everything you did. Guess what? Ayan had to be in therapy for years just to get over the trauma of everything you said! Do you know how we found Ayan that day? He was on the goddamned sidewalk! He was wailing for you to come back! We had to watch paramedics inject him with something just to get him to calm down" I was like a dam that broke finally confronting Akk for what he did.

For years I tried to understand Akk, I never said anything to him despite not understanding why he did what did. Always thinking he must have a reason; Akk is my best friend and I know he is never a person who takes anything lightly but I am finally angry because I know how badly the past had affected Ayan's mental health. I begged Akk to wait for Aye to be ready but then he went to him against everyone's warning.

Namo at least looks regretful now that he hears the story. He wasn't there when we found Aye and in all the years we had been friends, he had always had a partiality towards Akk. Wat must be remembering how we ended up calling Aye's mom and how the paramedics had to inject Aye with something to calm him down. It was one of the scariest moments of our young lives. Thua had spent years trying to make up for his mistake after that and Wat and I had tried our best to be there for both Aye and Akk.